Tank maintenance

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blueskynoise

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have two questions about my tank maintenance. I had a 30 litre tank for a couple of years but have recently upgraded to a 90 litre.

Since I’ve had the 30, I’ve done weekly water changes and always added Aquacare bio boost, or something similar. when I tried to buy some more bio boost at the fish store earlier this week, the guy basically said I was wasting my money and there was no need to use it in an established tank, so long as I’m using a water conditioner. Do you guys agree?
Secondly, I have a Fluval U2 filter. According to the box, the carbon cartridges should be replaced every 2-4 weeks. Does this seem about right? If so, should I replace them at separate times rather than both together?

I use Seachem Prime as a water treatment for the chlorine in my tap water in my already established tank, and thats it.

Hi guys. I have two questions about my tank maintenance. I had a 30 litre tank for a couple of years but have recently upgraded to a 90 litre.

Since I’ve had the 30, I’ve done weekly water changes and always added Aquacare bio boost, or something similar. when I tried to buy some more bio boost at the fish store earlier this week, the guy basically said I was wasting my money and there was no need to use it in an established tank, so long as I’m using a water conditioner. Do you guys agree?
Secondly, I have a Fluval U2 filter. According to the box, the carbon cartridges should be replaced every 2-4 weeks. Does this seem about right? If so, should I replace them at separate times rather than both together?
Hello!
Do not replace filter cartridges. During every water change (depending on stock level, once a week or biweekly) you should rinse the cartridges in dirty tank water and then dispose of the tank water.

Bioboost is not useless but since your tank is established, I would agree with the man. If you use SeaChem, bioboost is very useless because SeaChem works right through it, breaking it down.

Seachem is quite possibly a life saver, literally. I always recommend.

You don't need bottled bacteria, ever....a cycle will happen without it, nitrifying bacteria occur naturally in our environment.

You also don't need carbon in your filter, except in certain circumstances (removing meds from the water column). Place some other new media in their space in the filter (sponges or ceramics).

Never switch out your filter media for new, unless it is falling apart, then do it a piece at a time, over several days or weeks.

You don't need bottled bacteria, ever....a cycle will happen without it, nitrifying bacteria occur naturally in our environment.

You also don't need carbon in your filter, except in certain circumstances (removing meds from the water column). Place some other new media in their space in the filter (sponges or ceramics).

Never switch out your filter media for new, unless it is falling apart, then do it a piece at a time, over several days or weeks.
I use carbon filters haha
How would you change it piece by piece?

I use carbon filters haha
How would you change it piece by piece?
You hopefully have more than just carbon in your filter(s), it is not the most suitable for BB colonization.

For once the fish store employee seems to know something about fish care. Yes, he is correct, there is absolutely no need to add what I assume is some sort of bacterial supplement to add nitrifying bacteria, or encourage them somehow. Once the tank is established, the bacteria/archaea can easily handle the nitrogen issues (assuming you maintain good maintenance, don't overstock or overfeed, etc), or with live plants that are reasonably fast growing (floating plants are ideal for this) you will never see such issues.

Filter media needs to be rinsed regularly to remove the organics. Replace media only when it is no longer able to function, for example when foam/sponges/pads break apart and tank water gets around and not through them, then replace.

Water conditioner was mentioned, so my next comment will likely start an argument with some, but fact is fact. Prime is not the best conditioner, and in most tanks should not be used. Its chemical messing with the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is of no benefit and may be the opposite. It has uses in new tanks where fish are in danger of being poisoned because the cycle is not establish or there are no live plants, but not beyond that. It does not remove ammonia, nitrite or nitrate; Seachem used to claim it did, until (presumably) chemists called them out and they now say "detoxies" by binding (they do say they do not understand how nitrite and nitrate are "detoxified"). What chemists have shown is that the substances remain after Prime is no longer effective (24-36 hours it seems). It "hides" them for 24-36 hours during which they will not harm fish (supposedly) but that's all. The bottom line, the fewer chemicals you add to the water in which fish have to live, the better for the fish.

As for what conditioner is good...first you only want one that handles the specific issues in your source water. For most of us this is chlorine, for many also chloramine. Some may have heavy metal issues. If this is all you have to contend with, the most basic conditioner will work--and here you consider the best for this. Amount of conditioner needed for "x" volume is important, again to avoid adding unnecessary chemicals. I have fond nothing superior to API's Tap Water Conditioner; it is the most highly concentrated so you use less, it deals with chlorine/chloramine and heavy metals, and nothing more. Others add this or that, some aloe vera--bad, as this is known to cause gill problems for fish, yet the manufacturer still claims it is safe, obviously their definition of "safe" varies from mine.

Alright- where can I buy those? I already bought a butt load of the carbon cartridges haha. But what would the regular ones look like?
Just remove the carbon from the ones you bought, and use those....my filters have bagged media, I don't use cartridges

If your tank isn't at least 6 months old, CHANGE NOTHING in your filter until it is...
Started this tank in December of 2020... Almost 6 months and have already made those mistakes of changing the filter.

Now, with Colin's advice, all I do is rinse the media until it is torn up and can't be used anymore.

NOW, all I will do is rinse it and the next filter I have to use, I will remove the carbon :)

Most reactions

Back