Tank Location

Exodus

Reaction score
Hello all! First post here.

I'm looking to put a 55g aquarium somewhere in my house, and the only large enough spots I have are infront of windows. The best window spot I have is infront of a window that is practically never opened, curtain (which isnt the least bit translucent - when its closed no light comes in) stays closed all the time, and its away from heating and a/c ducts.

Now, I think this would be absolutely fine to put it there during the summer months, as this room is the coolest in the summer and warmest in the winter.

But its possible that the window might get a bit cold during the winter months - would I be okay if I made sure all cracks were sealed, in addition to adding some of that pink insulation foam to the back and an overkill heater?

I know you arent supposed to put them infront of windows, but I think its still do-able. (and to be honest, I really want my 55 too!)

Would I be safe to put it here?

TIA!
_exodus

The main reason for keeping them away from windows is algae growth due to sunlight. If you block the sunlight it shouldn't be an issue.

As long as the window is sealed reasonably well cold shouldn't affect the tank. If you went with a 300 watt heater in the 55 you should be ok.

The main reason for keeping them away from windows is algae growth due to sunlight. If you block the sunlight it shouldn't be an issue.

As long as the window is sealed reasonably well cold shouldn't affect the tank. If you went with a 300 watt heater in the 55 you should be ok.

Excellent, thats exactly what I thought would be the case.

Even then, if you plant your tank, the plants will really appreciate real sunlight, there is virtually no 100% replacement for real sunlight. A well planted tank will outcomplete algae for nutrients, too, so algae does not become a problem then. Check out Diana Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, she places her planted tank intentionally so that they will all get sunlight every day.

I read the first few chapters in that book before succumbing to complete boredom... how'd you get anywhere in that book? (Meant to be a real question, no cynicism or w/e intended)

And planting the tank would require some knowledge and a decent setup, so it would not be suggested for a beginner.

Just so long as you are sure that the tank will never be too warm or too cold (the former being the bigger concern since that will be a harder problem to solve), then it should be fine, though I, personally would much rather have access to the window than put a tank in front of it. :p

I read the first few chapters in that book before succumbing to complete boredom... how'd you get anywhere in that book? (Meant to be a real question, no cynicism or w/e intended)

If you want to know the science you have to put in the time. I didn't find it so bad, but with all the chemistry classes I've taken in my life, that book was actually on a pretty easy level.

If you haven't had a strong chemistry background, there will need to be some time investment necessary, but all-in-all I think that anyone who tries should be able to get through it.

I was actually considering turning it into a planted tank, but a low-light one, so the sunlight factor probably is too much light for that.

I think with an oversized heater and blocked sunlight, I should be fine.

Most reactions

Back