Tank Location For Jewel Trigon 190?

Jonno

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi there,

I currently have a biorb which i enjoy keeping, however the hobby ahs grown on me and i now want a larger tank.

I was thinking of a Jewel Trigon 190 - however i have no corner to fit it in downstairs. Just wondering if the weight of the tank would be OK upstairs in my office, which has floorboards?

Secondly - what does everyone think to the Jewel Trigon 190? Is it a good second tank?

Thanks!

Jonno.

Thats kind of difficult to answer as it depends entirely on the construction and layout of your house. In my house Id be wary of it especially in the wrong place. Although its an old stone built victorian house, I consider the joists very undersized (4x2 in some rooms!)

My brothers place also stone built victorian is made with really good sized joists (8x2) and I would have no issues what so ever putting a far heavier tank on those. My place was built cheap and his was more up market...

Ideally you want to find out which way your joists run and place it against the wall which the joists attach to covering as many joists as possible.

Ive known people putting 5'x2'x2' tanks on second floors without a problem, but it does depend entirely on the house construction and tank placement.

I think the trigon is a lovelly looking tank, but I hate the juwel filters far prefer external cannisters.

in my opinion it would look out of place if its not in a corner but its your own decision

Just wondering why you have no corner down stairs? Can you not move something around to fit it in? Its a lovely looking tank!

Just wondering why you have no corner down stairs? Can you not move something around to fit it in? Its a lovely looking tank!

My living room is the same, the front wall is taken up entirely by the bay window so no corner there to put a fish tank the other two corners one is filled with a door to the kitchen and the other a window overlooking the back garden. I like the trigon tanks, but have no suitable corner.

My living room is the same, the front wall is taken up entirely by the bay window so no corner there to put a fish tank the other two corners one is filled with a door to the kitchen and the other a window overlooking the back garden. I like the trigon tanks, but have no suitable corner.

I have a Trigon 350, when we bought it I was concerned it would be too heavy for my living room as the floor is constructed over a gap area the way I have seen upstairs floors made. What I did was calculated the weight, so 350l is 350kg, add in the tank, cabinet and heavy ornaments, I over estimated at 550kg. I then got 4 of my friends who weighed over 100kg to stand in the corner plus the mrs and I and stood there for a bit. We must have looked odd but my tank is still where I put it 9 months later.

haha i can imagine you all standing in the corner feeling awkward and looking at each other in the corner thinking, so what do we do now? just stand here some more?
but the issue stands that if your worried about weight then why not try it out before you rush in and may cause damage to things.

its not just the ability to hold the weight for 10minutes its the weight over 10 years, and what happens when you have a leak :D.

i have a 240 litre tank upstairs on floorboards and its ok.

just make sure you level it over more than one floor joist .

adam

I have my 180L upstairs in my office - i wanted that tank :) But i also have no spare corner :( - My house is on (dare i say it - a council estate! - But a slightly better one with no chavs / vandalism heh) And they aren't the best build houses money can buy - so i dont think you'll have any problems :p

its not just the ability to hold the weight for 10minutes its the weight over 10 years, and what happens when you have a leak :D.

Bounce up and down a bit? Thats why I am saying over estimate, I would imagine corners would be more stucturely sound than the middle of a room. I wonder how much a 115 KG man in a bath full of water would weigh up against a Trigon 190?

I wonder how much a 115 KG man in a bath full of water would weigh up against a Trigon 190?
good point but isnt the area under the bath specifically reinforced more than every part of the house?

well it depends on how heavy the tank is and if ur floorboards can hold it but the main thing is how much weight can the sructure that the tank will go on. I have a tropiquarium55 upstairs and its been up there for 1 year and a bit that seems alright! wellit hasent fallen throgh into the front room!!]
but the main things to consider are:
is it reciving direct light
is it near a doorway
can it pick up a draft
is it near a t.v or sterio :shifty:
the corner should be fine if u want it there but personaly i would have it were i can maintain it easily and where i can show it off!!

hope this helps

tom

Bounce up and down a bit? Thats why I am saying over estimate, I would imagine corners would be more stucturely sound than the middle of a room. I wonder how much a 115 KG man in a bath full of water would weigh up against a Trigon 190?

The floors in my house bounce! badly! Badly enough for the surveyor to notice excessive deflection. Floors under baths should be double joisted! alhtough some wont be if they were built without indoor plumbing. Dont get me wrong in some houses Id have no problems whatsoever with a 5x2x2 weighing 600kg being placed on the second floor, but other places arent so well built - my own place included. My last house I had a 1000l plus a 800l setup in the living room no concerns whatsoever. But if a place bounces when kids jump on the floor I wouldnt trust it to hold serious weight over time especially not if theres a tank based flood, which can happen.

The corner of a room will be no stronger than any other area against the wall, its where the weigh is put on the joists and the strength of the joists and the number of joists covered that is everything, nice thick 8" joists nice and close together will hold far more weight safely than 4" joists the same distance apart, unfortuantely my house is so badly built that they use 4" joists in places :angry: I am however having a big tank put in the living room but im getting a properly built steel stand made up on site, that takes the load down to the earth \ concrete floor below and is rated to hold 5 tons reliably. Its surprisingly cheap :D

Most reactions

Back