Tank Light

AquaQueen

Reaction score
Ok, every time I turn my tank light on it heats my water up quickly. I don't keep the heater on either because I was having the same problem. Without either on, my tank temp is around 76 degrees. I have read that the light is supposed to be on 10 to 14 hours a day. How do I do this if it keeps raising my water temp too much? :S Is it super important to keep the light on?

AQ

It is only important to keep the tank lights on of you have live plants in the tank,if the tank is unplanted then it is better to just switch the light on when you wish to view the fish

I think keeping the lights is supposed to replicate a natural day for the fish. How important this is, I dunno.

Fluorescent bulbs should have less of an effect on tank temp. than incandescent.

Should be able to adjust the heater? :unsure:

It depends on which fish you keep! Some fish dont interact with sun light at all!

Graeme.

well i think it depends how much natural light gets into the tank from the room. perhaps you could leave a small air gap between the light and the top of the tank hood. this might let the air cool the bulb a little bit. or perhaps a small fan to blow the hot air away.

The lights are incandesent. Guess I'll have to switch to floresent. No live plants in the tank. The tank does get some natural light during the day and I have turned down my thermometer 72 degrees but it still heats up too hot. Maybe I just need a new one thermo.

AQ

a flourescent light will definately ot heat up the water is much...and IMO they look way better

Most reactions

Back