Tank Is Shocking Me

Myuu

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just did a water change just a bit a go and went to grab a plant that came out of the sand, and whenever I touch the surface of the water I get a small shock. Mt thermometer is reading 78 degrees, but it's usually at 80. And the glass canopy is steaming up, it's never done that before. I hope the heater isn't broken, I just got it -___-

Edit: Nevermind, I think it was the slippers I was wearing. I drag my feet when I walk >___________>; Prolly static

At the shop I work at, we have a few tanks that gives you a little shock when your hand is lightly in the water. Pretty much, you have to dunk your hand in there to avoid the shock :X

Is your therm designed to be fully submerged? Some are not. If the glass envelope is condensed up then you definitely have a leak and you should not put your hand in with everything plugged actually you shouldn't do this anyway!

Also yet another example of why Latching RCD protectors are mandatory in this hobby!

Put your slippers back on but this time try doing the same with power off and see what happens then!

You should always turn your heater off if you are going to put your hand in the tank.

Oh a ground strap! I actually use them all the time, I'm a tech at a Nissan dealership and when we handle vehicle computers we use them so we don't short them out.

Oh a ground strap! I actually use them all the time, I'm a tech at a Nissan dealership and when we handle vehicle computers we use them so we don't short them out.

LOL ground straps are designed to earth you whjen handling static sensitive devices & chips etc a ground strap will only ever increase your likelyhood of electric shock!

What we mean is a device that will detect a leak to earth. One of these but it is very important it latches otherwise after a power cut electricity will not be restored.

they measure the voltage going in through the live wire, and out through the neutral wire, if they differ, it trips and doesnt allow current through

Sounds like a ground fault circuit interrupter to me. It is abbreviated as GFI or GFCI in the US. I am sure there is something similar in the UK.

Edit: If you plug your equipment into a GFI and have a problem with it leaking current to ground, it is designed to break the circuit before it electrocutes you.

I just did a water change just a bit a go and went to grab a plant that came out of the sand, and whenever I touch the surface of the water I get a small shock. Mt thermometer is reading 78 degrees, but it's usually at 80. And the glass canopy is steaming up, it's never done that before. I hope the heater isn't broken, I just got it -___-

Edit: Nevermind, I think it was the slippers I was wearing. I drag my feet when I walk >___________>; Prolly static

Just my take on this. Water and electricity are not a good combination. Your heater or water filter pump may will have a tiny, very tiny leak. That is all it takes. GFI circuits are good idea and a safety factor. Try the heater and pump separately in a pale of water to see which one it may be. Be careful.

Electricity can leach into the water from a surprising number of places. One of the biggest sources for current in a tank appears to be from fluorescent light tubes whilst very old powerheads can bring even larger amounts (even though the former has no direct contact with the water and the later is encased in plastic).

If it continues to be a huge problem then you can purchase a titanium grounding probe (essential to keeping sharks).

If you want to read a bit more then this link may be of interest (though it deals more with SW tanks).

Most reactions

Back