Tank Has Chip, Use It Or Toss It?

bobbo268

Reaction score
So i bought a 29 gallon tank with stand on craigslist for 100 bucks, came with biowheel 200, 3 power heads, heather, 2 brand new aerators, air stones, tubing, hood, light.  

Bought it yesterday, cleaned the tank and items today and repainted the stand.  Filled the tank up and put it on a piece of dry cardboard to see if there was any leaks.  NO LEAKS!  Good news.

Bad news... I didn't notice until it was filled up that there was a chip in the corner, as if someone hit it while moving a chair or something.  It does NOT leak, however, do i risk it, should i be fine, or should i just make that corner the back of the tank and glob some aquarium sealant around the area just to make sure?   I've included pictures.  From one side it looks like it might be all the way through, but from the other side it looks like its only halfway through.  The seller was a rich guy in a giant house, who had to upgrade to a giant tank and he said it held water, and he "seemed" honest and I had no reason to not believe him.  He said the only reason he took down was to upgrade....

(the cardboard is wet right there but thats from my daughter playing in it, i wiped it and it dried in 2 minutes and has been dry since.  Its been full for 3 hours now with no leaks)

what do you guys think?

20130626_170617_zps34285de6.jpg

20130626_170629_zpsb2dd5d5b.jpg

20130626_170649_zps6d66b553.jpg

nice job hiding the license plate. it looks fine to me. just make that the back corner. one thing i would do though would be to possibly   re seal that side just to be safe. then you should be fine. 

Yeah some sealant should be fine, in fact itd probably be fine without the sealant but after a while it might start leaking or even bust.

Either way, thanks, i'll throw some extra sealant in it.  With my last aquarium i had some aquarium sealant, but that was 5 years ago and i don't remember where i got it.  Is that at walmart or the big box pet stores?  Or do i have to order it?

I've had a tank for quite a while (over two years) that has a similar chip like that on the side. It hasn't leaked or creaked or busted or any of the above at all! lol. I think you'll be okay :)

Tried to resist making the Fish and chips reference but failed miserably  
bye2.gif

Most reactions

Back