Tank Going Down Hill

Harry1996

Fish Herder
Reaction score
getting loads of algae crap now. ran out of water only have 5L nitrate 25!!!!
i have no money for rowa phos and carb. now in year 10 my spare time has gone down a lot. need bigger tank :lol: less time is needed in a bigger tank? more volume so easier to look after? what should i do? im going to buy another 25L jerry can so i can do bigger water changes :good: then as soon as i get £20 i will order rowaphos and rowacarbon. way to go?

Bigger tanks need more time. I guess the only advantange is changes to nitrate etc happen more gradually. Also if you cant afford £20 maybe you can't afford a new tank?!

nitrates of 25 wonr really hurt your softies harry. maybe feed a bit less til you can afford to do your water change and add the rowa.

man u think year 10 is tough, be prepared for next year! For the last 6months or so i neglected my tank which broke my heart but u can find the time, i was just lazy when not revising.

Now im at college i have many free lessons a week so i can routinely now check up on my aquarium. :shout:

also tell ur parents to fund the tank as "biology revision" :hey:. sounds stupid but i think it moved me up from B grade to A*. All you learn about cycles and bacteria comes into real life when you own a reef!

also if money is tight do odd jobs around your area by handing out flyers. sounds crap but it works, and its worth the effort, i now have £1000 saved to complete the built of my 75 gal.

Good luck and stick with the hooby :good:

i can afford £20 :lol: but not this second :good: its not the soft corals that im worried about its the sps and lps corals :lol: my dad buys water for me so i will do a water change tomoz :good: tank should be ok but i have lost my xenia from falling over etc. sps has gone brown :shout: lps are looking pretty crap :lol:

Harry as Ben said your levels are not :crazy: so dont worry, a cheap water change will sort it out :good: Reduce your lighting period and feeding a bit and get a bigger cuc

Seffie x

my cuc is big :good: but i will get more :good: doing bigger water changers and i have a algae scrapper with blade :good: works a very well.

Harry mate, i've said it before and i'll say it again, make a Turf Algae scrubber, they are dirt cheap to make and run, and they'll solve all your nitrate and phosphate problems!

yes i have been thinking about that for some time :good:

Harry mate, i've said it before and i'll say it again, make a Turf Algae scrubber, they are dirt cheap to make and run, and they'll solve all your nitrate and phosphate problems!

i have been reading about algae scrubbers and in the process of setting one up, they seem to do an excellent job.

Most reactions

Back