Tank divider broke- bettas got into a fight

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

P&BtheBetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have no clue how this happened but last night the tank divider fell apart and I didn't notice it until now. My two betta fish must've got into a fight. I found my male betta on the other side of the tank. I quickly fixed the divider but my female betta's fins are pretty torn up. My male betta isn't physically hurt but he seems really distressed.

My female betta has dropsy and I'm scared my other betta will catch it.
What do I do? Will Pearl's fins grow back?

I was going to give her a salt bath today because it seemed to help her a bit yesterday can I still do it if her fins are torn up?

Everything's been going wrong this week and I don't know what to do anymore.

Fin damage:
Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 3.40.10 PM.png

afaik - clean water will soon cure damage like that

If you cant repair the divider an emergency separator would be a bucket of de-chlorinated water that you treat as an unfiltered 5 gallon and change the water loads would work, even better if you have a spare cycled sponge filter or something to hand.

Water change daily or would that be too much?
I just changed the water yesterday.

Water changing is only a bad thing to do too often or in too large amounts if the pH difference is really big. Which it probably won't be unless your water change schedule is yearly and you top up evaporation with RO.

Daily water changing won't hurt to make sure your water is clean, but the water may well be fine and you don't need to. But a water change will also reduce the amounts of pathogen that may infect the wound while it heals.

I saw one of my cories had a ripped fin yesterday, as far as I can tell today it is mostly mended already. And this is a small weak cory that I added to a new tank 3.5 years ago that had a missing barbel that never regrew and he looked visibly distressed on his first day. He is still small - but is active and healthy now and I suspect he is even a dad now.

That minor fin damage is of no concern when the fish has dropsy. Just separate the two and carry on.

Most reactions

Back