Tank Cooling

jonny_dw

Fishaholic
Reaction score
strange question to ask, but the room where my tank is has alot of electrical equipment around so the room is always pretty hot, even for me at times lol.

The fish I have prefers water of around 22-26C, and the temp in the tank in here can sometimes hit around 30C!
I have alot of surface agitation from my filter, so oxygen isnt a problem,just the heat!

The heater is on 24C but is hardly ever needed. Ive tried keeping the light off but it makes little difference.So I was wondering if there is any tips anyone has to cool the water down apart from water changes? (which I do 10% to 20% a week).

got a few ideas...
-try putting a cool pack or a bag of ice in the tank, will cool the water pretty nicely and gradually.
-try block any natural light gettin onto the tank.
-put a fan or something in the room to help keep it cool or keep window or door open to keep the room ventilated

cheers mike

Either get a small room air conditioner, a chiller unit for the tank, or don't worry about it. Having the window open is a good idea as well (as mentioned by Mike).
Most fish are fine at 30C but small species like neon tetras and danios will age quicker and won't live as long.
It is preferable not to have rapid temperature fluctuations throughout the day. A stabile temperature, be it warm or cool, is much better for the fish.

I keep water bottles in the freeze.
If the temp gets too high, float a bottle in the tank.
It will the water slowly and if it gets too cold, the heater will keep the temp constant.

Most reactions

Back