Tank Cleaning

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Just a little help please.
Already have a 4ft tropical tank up and running for over a year now and just bought an Aqua One AR380 tank with stand and all the stuff (bargain!!).
I'm just having this one as a Tetra tank but have not put any gravel in this one, just a piece of bogwood with growing ferns and a few pebbles and a hotel ornament.
How often should i clean this tank ie water changes and such?
I do a 20% change every week with my 4ft one but I'm not too sure what to do with this one?
Can i leave it for longer than a week as there's only 15 Tetras in there and 4 Guppies?
I'm just assuming that with it being smaller and not that many fish in it that it won't be as prone to waste and such like?

Cheers guys.

a tank without any substrate will stay alot cleaner,

i would do a 25% water change once a week,

clean filter media every 2-3 weeks,

clean glass as nessessary (every few weeks should do it)

although this can vary depending on what your feeding, how often, and how much your feeding

As far as I was aware, the AR380 is only 34 litres so is overstocked if it has 19 fish in it. You need to do at least the same amount of water changes if not more.

Lunar Jetman said:
As far as I was aware, the AR380 is only 34 litres so is overstocked if it has 19 fish in it. You need to do at least the same amount of water changes if not more.

meh....if the tank is properly taken care of/maintained, i wouldnt say 19 small fish is overstocking a 34L

Thanks guys but i don't think it's overstocked!
The Tetras are tiny and there is tons of space for them to swim.

Fish Addict...I used to love that game on the Spectrum!!
yes.gif

Mikey1 said:
a tank without any substrate will stay alot cleaner,

i would do a 25% water change once a week,

clean filter media every 2-3 weeks,

clean glass as nessessary (every few weeks should do it)

although this can vary depending on what your feeding, how often, and how much your feeding
Only feeding them Nutrafin Max flake for now mate, just a small pinch every day.

Mikey1 said:

meh....if the tank is properly taken care of/maintained, i wouldnt say 19 small fish is overstocking a 34L

I would. Most experienced aquarists on here would too. Especially knowing the filter on that tank (since I have one), which is not the best, capacity-wise. Put it this way, I have exactly the same tank, and I have one fish and a colony of Red Cherry Shrimp.

Steffy, with this tank, I would strongly suggest you be looking to do at least 50% water changes weekly.

Steffyboy said:
Only feeding them Nutrafin Max flake for now mate, just a small pinch every day.

thats fine, just dont overfeed and you will be okay

maybe up the waterchanges to 30-40% every week, just make sure to use dechlorinator

Cheers guys.
You don't really think that with little fish but i see it now.
And yes, the filter is rather rubbish but don't want to change it and put an internal one in as there is not enough space as it is!!

Steffyboy said:
Cheers guys.
You don't really think that with little fish but i see it now.
And yes, the filter is rather rubbish but don't want to change it and put an internal one in as there is not enough space as it is!!

No, absolutely right, I am still using it in mine too. Don't like internals anyway.

Most reactions

Back