Tank Arranging Help

delectableteatray

Reaction score
Tank has quite afew plants, some real some plastic, bogwood, and pebbles

992bf548.jpg

But to me, the tank just looks like a mess, so i was wondering if anybody could offer some help and advice as to how i should arrange it.

The bogwood and afew pebbles have thread on holding ddown new java moss, and the sack in the corner full of substrate is there because i'm in the middle of a fishless cycle, so it would be nice to get the tank arranged nicely to give the fish a nice home to come to!

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, i didn't really know which it fitted into.

ps. How do i propogate hygro, as it has lots of root things coming off the sides of the stem

pps. Thankyou very much Luke_e who sent me so many plants!

Hey mate, this is the right forum to post it in.. :)

Firstly, if your wanting it planted you'll probably want to remove the plastic plants as they serve no purpose and if you remove them you have more space for real plants.

You might want to add a background to the outside of the glass on the rear. Preferably black, this will bring out the colour of your plants more...

The bogwood looks like a nice piece, but you have some medium height plants covering it up. If you brought it forward slightly and then have some small plants infront you would get a better view of your bogwood..

Also, just noticed you have white string attaching the java moss, it might be better using black if you have it, as its less noticable whilst the moss is rooting...

As the the number of pebbles, i'd at least remove the huge one, as it takes your attention from the rest of the tank...

Most importantly its your choice on how it looks which is most important. Hopefully some other people can give you some tips..

Good luck with it mate.

I agree with moving the bogwood up.

What are those long strands in front of the bogwood?

Is there a reason you mixed fake and real plants together? Can Luke send you more plants? :p

Have you considered switching to sand (IMO, the pebbles would look better if the substrate, gravel, weren't the same shape)?

The way the plants are attached to the rocks seems weird to me, though not sure how to correct that.

You might want to add a few plants on the sides. Also, IMO a mix with dark and light-green plants would look good, so perhaps you migth want to try adding some dark ferns as well?

The red plastic plant looks out of place. :p

I'm sure it looks like I'm really attacking your tank, but it looks a billion times better than mine...

Also, can't see anything about size of tank and if you have fish in there right now. seems big and like there are no fish.

Hihi thanks for the quick replies

In answer to questions, the white strands on the bogwood and the pebbles is thread holding down my java moss which has only just gone in, so I will only have that in there for afew weeks.

The tank is 58 litres, and is fishlessly cycling at the moment so has no fish in. I should be getting my first few this coming weekend.

The reason I have plastic plants is because they came with the tank, and i thought i may as well keep them, but will proably take them out pretty soon.

I wish i had chosen sand as a substrate! But unfortunately I hadn't read anything on this forum, so just got gravel - they didnt even have sand at Petsathome. If I was to change to sand now, would I need to completely recycle my tank?

I have a big sheet of bl;ack paper on the outside of the tank, but it is just non-shiny black paper, so maybe that's the problem.

I think that what you think is a huge pebble, is a bag of substrate from an established tank that I put in to speed up the cycling process, so fortunately it can come out now.

I am at school at the moment, but will try your suggestions when I get home, then I'll post some pics.

Thanks!

EDIT: My straight spiralis, at the far right of my tank is dying, and I have no idea why, could it be because it's placed right next to the heater and filter?

If you were to change substrate it wouldnt necessarly make you start a cycle again, but imo it isnt worth the hassle, plus more plants root better in gravel (or so i've heard).

Oh, so you have black on the back? Was hard to tell, but now i look at it i can see it :D.

Ooo, lol it looked like a big pebble, didnt realise it was to speed cycle up lol..

As for the spiralis, it would be because its placed next to the heate/filter, its most likely from lack of light or nutrients.

If he changes the substrate his filter media will still contain a good amount of the beneficial bacteria, and he can bag a lot of his old subtrate and have it in the back of the tank for a bit. Along with some heavy planting as long as he doens't go nuts with intial stocking he'll be alright.

Welcome to the forum :) :welcome: gald to have you on board.

I wont say much as you seem to have had some good advice already. What I will say it that, the 'gravel' you have as the substrate I would call 'pebbles' a technicality, but an important one. When you talk about gravel in terms of planted tanks it really means no bigger than 3mm diameter. Those look between 5 and 10mm, far to big for plants. The reason for this is that firstly plants need to root to the gravel and bind it together to get a strong foundation, they wont be able to do this with your 'gravel' as its just to big. Also, when the plant roots grow they push their way between the particles in the substrate, what you have will be too heavy and will greatly hinder proper root growth. Sorry if this means a tank strip down, but if your serious about wanting to grow plants, even easy ones, they'll do much better with a much finer substrate.

And dont worry this wont greatly affect the cycle, as long as you put the filter back in it'll carry on from where it left off. As JArtiles305 said, its the filter sponge that contains the most bacteria.

Bottom line -> change it for 3mm gravel

Hope this helps

Sam

:( I can't replace my gravel I have not enough money grrrrrrrrrr....

I took your advice and here's my tank now, hopefully the java moss will spread across the slate

DSC_0052.jpg

Hopefully getting fish in it finally this weekend too

Thanks for help, any more tips on it well appreciated

i agree with removing the plastic plants. they stick out like a sore thumb.

the tank does look loads better--neater.

also, the string that you are using to bind the java moss. it would be better if you used transparent "plastic" thread. the fiberous thread that you have now will rot in the tank after a short time.

also, you could use the moss for a moss wall.

lastly, have you considered CO2 for the tank? DIY CO2 is cheap and takes about 5 minutes to set up. your plants will thank you for it.

i agree with removing the plastic plants. they stick out like a sore thumb.

the tank does look loads better--neater.

also, the string that you are using to bind the java moss. it would be better if you used transparent "plastic" thread. the fiberous thread that you have now will rot in the tank after a short time.

also, you could use the moss for a moss wall.

lastly, have you considered CO2 for the tank? DIY CO2 is cheap and takes about 5 minutes to set up. your plants will thank you for it.

Thanks for replies, does anybody know a thread with a good method for building a diy c02 unit?

Do a search mate or go into the DIY forum, loads always in there.

2 litre plastic drinks bottle, CO2 tubing, and if u wanna be sure, some silica glue.

Drill/make a small hole in the top of the bottle.
Pull through ur tubing with some pliers. YOu should get a good enough seal but if u wanna be sure, squeeze some silica gel around and let it dry off.
Cut the tubing as tight to the inside of the bottle top as you can.

YOUR DONE!

Add water/yeast and sugar and then attach to diffuser. If u cant find or havent the money for a diffuser, u can go into the filter inlet or alternatively use an air stone!

Good luck

Chris

Most reactions

Back