Tank 2 Transformation

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They have had 5 sets of eggs and not one set of the eggs have even got to the wriggler stage and am starting to think if it will ever happen from Tom

i wouldnt know how to breed them, i dont keep kribs

can you see embryos in the eggs or are they cloudy?

No I can't have a good enough look at the eggs and I try not to disturb the nest to much from Tom

Isnt the 10x filter rate more for high tech planted tanks? the 10x flow rule of thumb to keep the ferts evenly around the tank.

Fluval-1200 said:
Isnt the 10x filter rate more for high tech planted tanks? the 10x flow rule of thumb to keep the ferts evenly around the tank.
i generally use less unless i'm going for a lot of plants. although i run 900-1000 l/h in a 95 litre, the actual flow around the tank is less than 600 as the HOB and spraybar cancel eachother out. It just worries me that a 400 l/h is being sold as adequate for a 90 litre, i wouldnt say 900 l/h in a 90 is suitable for an unplanted, something like 6-700 would be ideal.. just to give the adequate flow. i'd use 900 if it was planted

Seal36 said:
They have had 5 sets of eggs and not one set of the eggs have even got to the wriggler stage and am starting to think if it will ever happen from Tom

One of the reasons that they don't get to the wriggler stage is because of the other fish in the tank... many times the parents will actually eat the eggs when other fish are too threatening to the eggs.
If you really want to raise the fry, the pair should be in a tank ALONE... for breeding, and the parents moved out eventually to allow the fry to grow out.

Ok I don't see why the kribensis would be scared of there tank mates when they are rummy nose tetra which spend all day at the other end of the tank and there is only 7 of them in the tank as well. Also the rummy nose tetras don't go near the caves and if they do the kribensis just swim towards them and they scatter from Tom

First, the other end of the tank isn't that far away...  tetras are extremely fast swimmers in bursts when they want to be and could cover that distance in the blink of an eye (literally).

Second, its been explained that this stocking is not ideal, especially if you are trying to breed the kribs.

If the rummy nose are only ever on the one side of the tank, its because they are being threatened by the kribs behavior.

Seal36 said:
the rummy nose tetras don't go near the caves and if they do the kribensis just swim towards them and they scatter
That's called aggression, which is why they really dont want to go near the caves

Most reactions

Back