Tank 2 Transformation

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seal36

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys just transformed my upstairs tank and would like to know if there is anything else I can do or if there is anything that I should change, any comments will be helpful thanks from Tom
First picture is off old tank
Second picture is new old tank
Third picture is off new tank that I have re done today from Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 70
how do you keep the water in the tank in picture 2 :)  and move that filter further up the tank close to the surface :p

i agree, lift the filter up a tad so it ripples the surface, but i'd suggest keeping the top of the unit underwater

the tank looks nice, plant choice is good and suits the surroundings.

If you could list the following, i'll be able to make a few judgements and tell you whether things are suitable or not

Tank size in litres
Pump Qmax (flow rate) in litres per hour
The types of media in the filter
The heater and wattage rating
and finally, your stocklist

but i have to say, it looks very nice, congratulations

Yes I do have a problem keeping the water in tank 2 and rather than moving the filter up I have aimed the spray bar up at the top so that it ripples the surface with the filter being slightly lower.

1. 90 litres
2. Super fish aqua 100 200l/h flow
3. Media from old tank and the media from the new filter with carbon in the middle of the new media.
4. It's a 100w super fish heater
5. Stocking is pair of kribensis and 7 rummy nose tetra

Seal36 said:
Yes I do have a problem keeping the water in tank 2 and rather than moving the filter up I have aimed the spray bar up at the top so that it ripples the surface with the filter being slightly lower.

1. 90 litres
2. Super fish aqua 100 200l/h flow
3. Media from old tank and the media from the new filter with carbon in the middle of the new media.
4. It's a 100w super fish heater
5. Stocking is pair of kribensis and 7 rummy nose tetra

Decent size tank, wouldn't say it's overstocked

Your filter is too underpowered for your tank, as a general rule, you want to be able to turn over the water in your tank ideally 10x an hour, but 7-9 will do, in a 90 litre tank, 200 L/h isnt enough, to give you some idea

I run a 95 litre tank, i use an external canister at 700 litres an hour and a HOB at 2-300 ish Litres an hour, that gives me about 900 l/h in total, meaning i turn my tank over just under 10x per hour in theory. That flow might seem a lot, but when seen up close, it isnt. 200 litres an hour would be suitable for a tank more like 30 litres, 40 at the very most.

As far as media goes, you're okay on that.

if you're looking for something with a spraybar, try an Elite JETFLO 150, it's 480 l/h i think, which means it'll take it just over 2h to circulate 10x. It has a spraybar, a huge media space and a good pressure on the pump. just under 5x an hour is borderline acceptable

if a sppraybar isnt all that important, i'd go for wither a Fluval 3+ or a U3, both being 6-700 l/h, depending on your budget, and mount it close to the surface.

If you dont want an internal, i suggest going for an external with an output of, at the very least, 600l/h

in any case, 200 l/h isnt really enough for a 90 litre tank

I know that on the box, it probably said 50-100 litres, but even 50 litres on a 200 l/h would be pushing it IMO

I like a less powerful filter flow because I think that a more powerful flow takes its toll on the fish especially if they are ill. I only get filters to remove all the bad stuff from the water and also the filter came with the tank.

What stocking do you have in your tank as I would love some more fish in my tank but I know I'm very close to being fully stocked if not fully stocked already. Also need a fish that won't be killed by the kribensis when they go into spawning mode from Tom.

Seal36 said:
I like a less powerful filter flow because I think that a more powerful flow takes its toll on the fish especially if they are ill. I only get filters to remove all the bad stuff from the water and also the filter came with the tank.

What stocking do you have in your tank as I would love some more fish in my tank but I know I'm very close to being fully stocked if not fully stocked already. Also need a fish that won't be killed by the kribensis when they go into spawning mode from Tom.
nonetheless, your filter is inadequate for both the aquarium size and the stock, 700 litres an hour wont take it's toll on the fish at all in a 90 litre tank, and if the fish are ill, they shouldnt be in there. 700 litres an hour in a 40 litre tank however, would be a different story. i ran 1400 l/h in a 90 litre tank and no fish were harmed, because i set the filters up to cancel eachother out almost and provide a slower flow around the tank, while still churning over 1400l/h

Filters dont just remove food and fish excretions from the water, they host a site for huge amounts of bacteria to live, which detoxify ammonia and nitrite so your fish dont get poisoned, these bacteria can only build up if the foams are left in the filter and cleaned in tank water only.

i wouldn't recommend getting any more stock until you've revised your filter problem. 480 l/h up only, due to the stock and the tank size. 200 will leave parts of the tank with no/very little flow, not ideal at all. I currently only have four kuhli loaches, the tetras are sick and have been isolated. Kuhli loaches, as you may know, have no scales and are therefore arguably more vulnerable to being damaged by water currents blowing them into things, i havent had a single problem however
by the way, your mention of sick fish makes me say this.

if your fish are ill, ideally they should be in a seperate tank, but if not possible, remove the carbon media before you treat them, or you'll be wasting your time. carbon will soak up all kinds of medications, zeolite has the same effect with some kinds too

Ok I will look into getting a bigger filter with a more l/h flow. What type of tetras do you have and none of my fish are sick I was just saying that if fish are sick it would be better for them to be in a tank with a slower flow from Tom

hospital tanks have slower flows in general yes, my hospital talk is 60 litres with 450 l/h

neon and ember

I love neon tetras and have them in my 110 litre tank and also I got it wrong I have the aqua flow 200 which does 400 l/h so is that an ok flow rate. I threw the box away and just presumed that the shop would have given me the least powerful filter they could but the aqua flow 200 can be used for a 200 litre tank supposedly from Tom

stuff what the manufacturer says is generally your safest bet

400 in a 90 is getting more like it, i'l still be inclined to get a 600 l/h, the extra 200 will make a difference in terms of flow around the tank

i suggest an aquaflow 400, it may be 800 l/h but with the media in that'll be ore like 750 tbh, they rate the pump flow with no media, in general, media slows flow by about 50 l/h if it isnt clogged

I really hope that the kribensis can breed and raise their fry in the new tank as they had no luck in the last tank from Tom

Most reactions

Back