Tanganyika Eel

didz04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi I am moving away from my marine tank and buying a 4ft for freshwater cichlids. I have researched on this tanganyika eel before I setup my marine tank and thought they might not be wildly available. Are they available in the UK?

Has anyone had these and what has your experience with them been like?

Also will they mix in well with other cichlid family's?

Thanks

There are several Rift Valley Mastacembelus species sold in the UK, such as M. ellipsifer and M. plagiostomus. Some authorities place them in the genus Caecomastacembelus, but this seems to be deprecated among fish taxonomists.

Like any other Spiny Eel they need soft sand (smooth silica sand mixed with coral sand is ideal) plus various rocks and caves for them to hide in. They are predatory and difficult to feed in a busy aquarium, so think about that before adding other Tanganyikan cichlids. Earthworms and river shrimps are popular foods, together with small pieces of seafood. As ever with strict carnivores, take care you understand about thiaminase and choose foods appropriately to minimise this problem. They feed at night, and this will be one way to get them fed without the cichlids stealing all their food, but even so, I'd get the eel settled and feeding before adding any other fish.

Other issues much like Spiny Eels generally. Sensitive to skin damage and resulting infections; jump out of aquaria given even the smallest opportunity; territorial towards one another; may be sensitive to some medications (especially copper and formalin).

Cheers, Neale

There are several Rift Valley Mastacembelus species sold in the UK, such as M. ellipsifer and M. plagiostomus. Some authorities place them in the genus Caecomastacembelus, but this seems to be deprecated among fish taxonomists.

Like any other Spiny Eel they need soft sand (smooth silica sand mixed with coral sand is ideal) plus various rocks and caves for them to hide in. They are predatory and difficult to feed in a busy aquarium, so think about that before adding other Tanganyikan cichlids. Earthworms and river shrimps are popular foods, together with small pieces of seafood. As ever with strict carnivores, take care you understand about thiaminase and choose foods appropriately to minimise this problem. They feed at night, and this will be one way to get them fed without the cichlids stealing all their food, but even so, I'd get the eel settled and feeding before adding any other fish.

Other issues much like Spiny Eels generally. Sensitive to skin damage and resulting infections; jump out of aquaria given even the smallest opportunity; territorial towards one another; may be sensitive to some medications (especially copper and formalin).

Cheers, Neale

Thanks Neale, so they would be like any other spiny eel. I will try to get one in before I add any stock.

I have a general question concerning the PH for cichlids and this eel since it comes from the same lake. Would it possible to keep a medium but flat piece of bogwood along with plenty of ocean rock and still keep the PH above ph 8, will it be possible? I want to create 3/4s of it mostly ocean rock and to one side keep the 1 foot bogwood piece attached with plants.

Yes, you can keep bogwood in Rift Valley tanks. The wood may try to lower the pH, but provided the carbonate hardness* is sufficiently high (10+ degrees KH) and you do frequent water changes, the impact of one average sized lump of wood should be trivial.

Cheers, Neale

* Not general hardness, degrees KH, as general hardness has little impact on preventing pH drops.

I have a general question concerning the PH for cichlids and this eel since it comes from the same lake. Would it possible to keep a medium but flat piece of bogwood along with plenty of ocean rock and still keep the PH above ph 8, will it be possible? I want to create 3/4s of it mostly ocean rock and to one side keep the 1 foot bogwood piece attached with plants.

Yes, you can keep bogwood in Rift Valley tanks. The wood may try to lower the pH, but provided the carbonate hardness* is sufficiently high (10+ degrees KH) and you do frequent water changes, the impact of one average sized lump of wood should be trivial.

Cheers, Neale

* Not general hardness, degrees KH, as general hardness has little impact on preventing pH drops.

Great, Thanks!

Most reactions

Back