Talking Catfish

Not exactly venomous but toxic if they stab you /other fish with their spiney fins. Many catfish are mildly toxic like this and even corydoras excrete a toxic substance when afraid.

I keep mine with reedfish, an eel and praecox rainbows reckon if they tried to eat the catfish it could be a problem but not day to day living.

My avatar is my albino oscar.

Its funny you look up catfish venom and you get all these people talking about catfish cant sting and the n american river cats have no sting spines and fins at all.

The talking part is a trait in most true catfish, the drum fish aka sheepshead (freshwater not marine) have stone like things just behind their eyes/forehead area that grind together when they are being handled, much like a catfish most catfish ahem TRUE catfish make audible noises, they use it as a form of communication.

I have 7 channel cats, smallest being 6# largest pushing 20 pounds. I also have 4 flatheads smallest is around 10# the largest is over 30#, They make noise just in the tank living everyday life, they really get going when they get food stolen from them by a gill( gill becomes the meal then).

I like banjo cats for an oddity but alas I am stuck with cories in the family tank. The Raphaels are awesome cats ,good luck.

Also might I add, dont go fishing in your tank jsut to hear their noises......lol

I heard of them but I got some questions :hyper:

what are they
how much are they
are they easy to take care of
how much are they usally
are the aggressive
DO THEY ACTALLY TALK :hyper: (I'm guesssing no..)

They are horrible from my experience. My one is fully grown and I cant even keep mollys in the same tank cos he eats them EVERY night. He bullys the other fish and really upsets the tank. In the day you wont see him.. Occasionally his head will pop out. Worst fish I've bought to be honest...

Most reactions

Back