Taking out built in filter?

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I got this top fin “5 gallon” tank for Moon, my betta. He’s in a 3.5 currently, and if he is actually self mutilating I thought a change of scenery might distract him. However it seems like a large portion of the tank is taken up by this built in filter. I’ve heard of people taking these out but I’m curious on how to do that without ruining the tank. Does anyone have any resources? I hate the ugly sealant lol. I didn’t have any of the Aqueon tanks available anywhere local so I just got this one. I’ll be adjusting the filter and lights for sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 52
Hmm, top fun is not a bad brand as far as am aware.

That built in filter system does not look that big so not so much space being taken up. Looks quite a nice set up. That’s just me though, it’s your tank, lol.

Anyway, removing that sort of filter is pretty straightforward, sharp razor blade, cut the sealant (being careful not to scratch the glass of course) and remove the plastic panelling that makes the front of the filter, once removed, take off the rest of the sealant that was holding that panel, clean the glass, job done methinks.

Bit fiddly and time consuming but once you get started you’ll realise is not that bad to do.

Edit - looking at the photos again, might be able to lift out the whole filter walls together if not sealed to back glass.

Hard to tell from the pics themselves.

That built in filter system does not look that big so not so much space being taken up. Looks quite a nice set up. That’s just me though, it’s your tank, lol.

Anyway, removing that sort of filter is pretty straightforward, sharp razor blade, cut the sealant (being careful not to scratch the glass of course) and remove the plastic panelling that makes the front of the filter, once removed, take off the rest of the sealant that was holding that panel, clean the glass, job done methinks.

Bit fiddly and time consuming but once you get started you’ll realise is not that bad to do.

Edit - looking at the photos again, might be able to lift out the whole filter walls together if not sealed to back glass.

So you think not too much room is being taken up? I’m trying to eyeball it lol I don’t want to end up putting him in a tank With less room. I measured the space he’d be in and it’s definitely longer but also narrower. The height is the same tho.

And yes I was looking at it, and the corner of the tank is all connected to the glass and the filter so prob better not to chance it

Yeah, that’s what I feared when looked closer at that last picture, was hoping was not sealed to back glass.

But it’s still doable, just take it step by step, plan it in your head where to start first then take it from there.

There is no set manual on how to remove parts or disassembling parts from tanks.

If you want to know exactly how much water is in the main section, easiest way is to measure length, width and depth and use forum calculator or post dimension on here to see exactly what you have in terms of water volume in main part of tank. Then you can decide what you think is best.

Yeah, that’s what I feared when looked closer at that last picture, was hoping was not sealed to back glass.

But it’s still doable, just take it step by step, plan it in your head where to start first then take it from there.

There is no set manual on how to remove parts or disassembling parts from tanks.

If you want to know exactly how much water is in the main section, easiest way is to measure length, width and depth and use forum calculator or post dimension on here to see exactly what you have in terms of water volume in main part of tank. Then you can decide what you think is best.
Thank you so much! Appreciate it!

Yeah, sorry it’s not that helpful for you.

Usually it’s fairly straightforward, my built in all in one tank is more straightforward to do if I wanted to removed the filter section as it’s not sealed in at corners at back of tank making it easier to remove.

Be just a case of removing cutting sealants along 3 sections of plastic walling from glass and then cleaning glass of rest of the sealant.

Think your tank is better build quality.

No bad thing tbh.

But measure inside main section and see what the water volume is but am sure it’s perfectly fine for your betta, am assuming it’s at least 3.5 gals in main section and filtration part be around 1.5gals so the total water volume is better in terms of filtration.

Kind of depends on how strong the flow is from the filter to the main section of tank, maybe making a baffle or something to slow flow if it’s too strong for the betta.

Most reactions

Back