Taking care of Java Fern and Anubias Nana

I have another question.
I have setup the Finnex 24/7 HLC Planted+ with 26w on my 20 gallon long
I also purchased the Easy Green All in One Fert from Aquarium Coop which I have heard great things about. I am conflicted whether I should dose once a week or twice a week?
I am also curious as to how long I should keep the lights on and at what intensity without growing algae.

I have another question.
I have setup the Finnex 24/7 HLC Planted+ with 26w on my 20 gallon long
I also purchased the Easy Green All in One Fert from Aquarium Coop which I have heard great things about. I am conflicted whether I should dose once a week or twice a week?
I am also curious as to how long I should keep the lights on and at what intensity without growing algae.

This is going to be trial by error. Start with one dose or even half a dose once per week. Add more as necessary.

Do the same with the lights. Start at 8 hours and make adjustments.

I read somewhere about people doing 4 hours on, 4 off, and 4 on and then 12 hours off? Is there any particular way that promotes better plant growth? Does cutting the times like that effect anything?

I read somewhere about people doing 4 hours on, 4 off, and 4 on and then 12 hours off? Is there any particular way that promotes better plant growth? Does cutting the times like that effect anything?
I think doing that wouldnt be good for the fish.

How about the intensity of the light. I can adjust the brightness. Should I just leave it on max?

How about the intensity of the light. I can adjust the brightness. Should I just leave it on max?

If the only lower plants are the afore-mentioned Anubias and Java Fern, they do not need bright lighting. If you do get the floating plants suggested (whichever species) they will be close to the light and won't need very bright lighting either. Since fish are better with less light than brighter light, starting lower may be best and see what transpires.

I have the Finnex 24/7 planted plus as well. Currently using fluval stratum under my gravel, and am using NilocG Thrive caps. My Anubias are growing very well. My java ferns look ok. They are producing a lot of baby plants too. I had bought one bunch originally and have over 15 baby plants now. I let my light run the 24/7 mode, but occasionally will set it to max.

The HLC (thin silver planted plus version) is not nearly as bright as the bla k one.

In my 55, max is good and I may turn it down slightly. In a tank that is not as high, you may find the light to be too bright.

Set the brightness to whatever looks good to the eye and then adjust if you need to.

I have the Finnex 24/7 planted plus as well. Currently using fluval stratum under my gravel, and am using NilocG Thrive caps. My Anubias are growing very well. My java ferns look ok. They are producing a lot of baby plants too. I had bought one bunch originally and have over 15 baby plants now. I let my light run the 24/7 mode, but occasionally will set it to max.
Do you have any issues with algae growing on the 24/7 mode?

Most reactions

Back