Taking Beneficial Bacteria From A Bio Wheel?

onidrase

Let's Be Friends
Reaction score
Hey guys, my marineline emperor bio wheel filter has crapped out on me after only a couple months of use, and using it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience. While I love my 20 gallon and 75 gallon penguin bio wheels, the emperor model is huge, heavy, noisy, clunky, and now only lets out a tiny trickle of water as opposed to the raging flow it once had, no matter how much I scrub and clean the system. I've given up on it, and am gonna move on to an aquaclear filter instead.

the only thing that's bugging me is I'm not so sure how to keep the beneficial bacteria from my emperor filter's wheels. I can't exactly run the filter's side by side as the emperor takes up like half the tank on its own, and the other half of the tank has my super hot stainless steel heater and fluval U4 (which I've only owned for 2 weeks, I don't think it can hold its own on the tank while the aquaclear adjusts)

is there any way I can just cut up the wheels and place them somewhere in the aquaclear? Where should i put the piece (or pieces?) to make sure the bacteria still does its thing?

Thanks much

Well, from the pictures i found of both filters i found online and not knowing what type of tools you have access too I would if it was me..

Chop the wheel up into chunks quickly while wet not being careful to get only the fabric.. take it all if it will fit , put the carnage into a mesh bag or pantyhose, then put it directly into the flow as close to the intake as possible in the new hob..and maybe some in the extra space on the u4 center media basket

The details on how to achieve this depend on the tools you have available.

wheel.jpg
clear.jpg

Cut in half, flatten and place between sponge and ceramic rings, or whatever they include now for bio-media.

Most reactions

Back