Take a look

B20luda

Reaction score
i have a 20gallon tank that has been setup for over a year now i have no current problems with anything my fish seem to be healthy even tho i just got them (i kinda switched what kinda fish i have)

i have 2 Jack dempseys, i know the tanks to small it will be getting bigger soon
and i have a glass cat also the tank was filled with guppies neons and plecos before and i have gave all of those fish to my brother.. heres the specs..i just wanna know if anything is iffy thanks in advance

PH - 6.8-7.0

ammonia - 0ppm

nitrate - 0ppm

nitrite - 0ppm

unless its supermegazord planted, nitate looks iffy, should register something unless you did 100% water change

mattbeau said:
unless its supermegazord planted, nitate looks iffy, should register something unless you did 100% water change
[snapback]927218[/snapback]​

it is planted i have 3 plants in there, what will that cause having a low reading..i couldnt find anything about that...thats why i posted cause i was unsure about what happends when thats out of spec..i havent done a water change in about a week and when i changed it a week ago it was only a 25% change..

With just 3 plants I would have expected the nitrate should be a bit higher than 0. More like 10-20.

Can you check the nitrate reading of your tap water and let us know.

If the 2 jack dempseys and glass cat are all you have in the tank right now AND they are all relatively small, there may not be muh nitrate. My nitrate in my medium planted 29 gallon tank (stock list in sig) only runs about 5 to 10 on a weekly basis. If there isn't a lot of waste, there won't be much nitrates. Having said that, it is odd that you aren't getting a reading. How old is your nitrate test kit? I have heard that the liquid ones can expire and become inaccurate.

If the 2 jack dempseys and glass cat are all you have in the tank right now AND they are all relatively small, there may not be muh nitrate. My nitrate in my medium planted 29 gallon tank (stock list in sig) only runs about 5 to 10 on a weekly basis. If there isn't a lot of waste, there won't be much nitrates. Having said that, it is odd that you aren't getting a reading. How old is your nitrate test kit? I have heard that the liquid ones can expire and become inaccurate.

i actually just bought it from my LFS, will this hurt the fish by having a low reading?

nope it is healty for them actually lass nitrate = better i would worrie about it unless parameters randomly spike

Most reactions

Back