Tailless Girl Is Here

Synirr

"No one is a failure unless you try"
Reaction score
In temporary tanks right now, they just got here a couple of hours ago and my car is in the shop as of yesterday afternoon, so no making a gravel/decoration run for Syn :(. Had to piece together a couple of setups from what I have lying around. Luckily my storage room is FULL of old tanks and fishkeeping paraphernalia.

For those wondering, she loses her balance a tidge if she tries to go up or down too fast, but overall her swimming looks normal... or at least as normal as you can expect a betta without a butt to look, hah. No swimbladder problems, which is what I was worried about. I'll try to get a video of her later when she has settled in more.
Spunky little thing :wub:
DSCN9865.jpg

"I is normul bettaz, I sware!!"
DSCN9864.jpg

Looks like her fins are actually fused, unlike the male I had.
DSCN9910.jpg

Her sibling male... HAWT.
DSCN9883.jpg

She's flirting already :rolleyes:
DSCN9901.jpg

are you breeding her to the sibling male to try and see if the shortened body breeds true? would it also, for sake of science be prudent to breed her and her brother both to nonsiblings to see if the gene was hidden in him as well.

she seems to have a personality, I am just wondering if she will have the same long term life expectancy of a nondeformed betta.

I should be able to tell the genetic makeup without breeding her to a non-relative based on the ratio of deformed vs. normal offspring they produce. Depending on how certain I am of what I get in the first spawn or the F2, I may consider breeding her to a non-related male too. However, there's not really any point in using that male with another female, I'm not even certain if he carries the gene (assuming it's recessive, which I don't think it is,) and even if he IS a carrier, I can determine that by breeding the female both to him and an unrelated male. I'm trying to answer this question in as few spawns as possible :p

I bet she'll have a good long life. She doesn't seem to be from as inbred a line as the tailless male I had was, judging both by the coloration and the good form of the male. My male died of what was presumably cancer, he had a big tumor on his side, but that's more likely a product of his being one of those dragon types with a lot of opaque in him. Opaques are typically very inbred, and a less healthy coloration overall, prone to blindness and tumors. My midas hybrid is tailless as well, which is what got me so interested in this trait in the first place, and she is now about 3 years old, a perfectly normal size and weight, and the picture of health :)

I still can't believe you bought her! If you don't think it's too nosey, how much did you end up getting her for? I could justify it at a normal price, but that $120 price tag was what made me shake my head...

While I still don't agree with breeding her, she is a total cutie. I can't wait to see a video of her in action.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I did't know you were hanging around here. That shows how often I het out of my cave. :cool:

I'll have a girly... :hey:

So nice that you bought her. I would have snapped her up.

Most reactions

Back