Table Salt?

monica

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Is it possible to use table salt in your fish tank? Instead of marine or Kosher salt? I know it contains Iodine, but surely not enough to kill a fish... Right?
Just wondering... That would be great if someone could give me an answer.

Is it possible to use table salt in your fish tank? Instead of marine or Kosher salt? I know it contains Iodine, but surely not enough to kill a fish... Right?
Just wondering... That would be great if someone could give me an answer.

ive been told that you can... :/

I've been told you can't but rock salt can be used (also sold in supermarkets and cheaper than aquarium salt)

the levels of iodine can cause issues if you use a lot. Your best bet is rock salt or swimming pool salt. They are the same thing but pool salt is cheap to buy and sometimes contains calcium as well. That can increase the hardness of the water.

Why do you want to add salt to a betta container?

I am just asking. I have heard contradictory comments in the past aswell. And I am wondering if there is a definite answer.
There is so little Iodine, why would it be lethal?

iodine is toxic in high doses. A fish is tiny compared to a human so even the smallest trace can cause issues to them in the confines of a little fish tank or bowl.

Some people do add minute traces to marine tanks with lots of corals in but it generally isn't necessary. And bettas come from areas with fairly pure water that has little or no mineral content in it. They just aren't designed to tolerate it.

I am just asking. I have heard contradictory comments in the past aswell. And I am wondering if there is a definite answer.
There is so little Iodine, why would it be lethal?

Trust me chick, I made the mistake once and it WAS a mistake x

Most reactions

Back