T5 Lighting

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Montydog

Reaction score
hi all,
i have stumbled across these T5 lights and would be happy to purchase one. But..are they going to be good quality and worth the money?

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/florescent-light-fittings-and-accessories/t5-florescent-light-fittings-supreme-aqua/t5-aquarium-overhead-lighting-4x39w-900-long-3ft-/prod_183.html
that is 4x36W $92 bucks, pretty good ill say--pros,cons

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/florescent-light-fittings-and-accessories/t5-florescent-light-fittings-solarmax/solarmax-39w-3ft-t5ho-bar-light-fitting/prod_1149.html
this is only 2x36W and is also $92, why would it be the same price?? i have noticed that it has reflectors on it but still...pls help!

i will want to be growing a glosso carpet, i will use eco-complete, seachem flourish and trase.
which light will work best>???? or any other reccomendations??

thanks sorry for newbiness ;)

With that amount of lighting you would want Nutrients, Decent C02 Setup, and Ferts too keep your plants healthy. That top one has alot of light :) But if your willing for that, Then they look good i suppose.

You can't grow Glosso just like that because you have more light, you must keep the nutrients in balance also, which would mean you would require a higher dose of them.

hey thanks for the replies...

yes i know more light = more nutriants, but which one would u reccommend to grow a glosso carpet with seachem flourish/trace and DIY c02??
any adivse on dosage as well would help ;)

thanks

Well the 2*36W would be over kill, if you can go for 2x T8's runnng the length of the tank, or a single 24W T5, this will be sufficient to grow Glosso with CO2 and ferts.

Well the 2*36W would be over kill, if you can go for 2x T8's runnng the length of the tank, or a single 24W T5, this will be sufficient to grow Glosso with CO2 and ferts.
hmm strange..i always thought that you had to have atleast 2wpg to grow a carpet and thats bassically what the 2x36 is. the problem is i dont really
have the money to buy co2 and it seems to much hassle. im kind of aiming at a low tech planted tank.
thanks for all the help though standbysetting!

Glosso wont grow very well in a low tech tank, the WPG rule was based on the old T12's, T5's and T8's emit more useful light as not as much energy is wasted as heat, and also the thinner the tube the less refraction there is.

to make a plant carpet, there is an old myth that it needs really high light. Carpets will often become leggy and taller than you aim for and people will just add more and more light. The thing is, it's not the light that makes a plant grow more horizontal and create a good carpet. It's as SBS states mainly about the transportation of C02 and other nutrients as poor flow to the substrate suppresses the ability of the plant to rid itself ethylene gas and results in a buildup of this gas. Just about all aquatic plants respond in a similar fashion, which is actually an ingenious adaptation to being flooded. This build up will make a so called carpeting plant grow upwards rather than horizontally.

Most reactions

Back