Synodontis Catfish

Fancyfins12

Reaction score
Hello! I picked up a couple of fish from a family that wanted their aquarium gone the other day. One of them was listed as a "suckerfish" so silly me assumed I'd be getting some kind of pleco. He definitely is not a pleco. After some research I'm 99% sure he's a Synodontis Catfish.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever kept one and has advice? I know they don't like to be kept alone but I don't have room in my 20gal set up to get him friends; so I'm trying to do anything else I can to keep him happy. Would it be best to just try to rehome him with someone who has other catfish?

Attachments

• 20210309_150627.jpg
    20210309_150627.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 1,539
That looks like a synodontis eupterus which get to about 7 inches so quite a big fish. A 20 gallon is not going to be suitable long term for them so worth exploring rehoming options or a bigger tank. You would need to be looking at four foot tanks though.

Oh, thank you for the ID! I knew he would need a much larger tank soon. He's super cool, it's a bummer I don't have adequate space for him.

Oh, thank you for the ID! I knew he would need a much larger tank soon. He's super cool, it's a bummer I don't have adequate space for him.
There is a similar looking catfish that doesn't grow as big. Synodontis nigriventris , which grows to about 3-4 inches. There are a few catfish that look similar and swim upside down but they grow bigger, like your S. eupterus.

Most reactions

Back