Swordtail?

Oldspartan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I think she is but looking for confirmation. A lovely gal.

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpeg
    IMG_0216.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 30
Swordtails normally have a longer lower tail fin which is where they get their name from

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpeg
    IMG_0085.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 12
Thank You ColinT. I am surprised by this, (but do not question your ID of the fish). This fella appeared from nowhere in the 37 gallon a few weeks ago. In that tank are molly, swords, an Angel, and a BN Pleco. Linda did tell me she had put a Guppy in the tank for a couple of days, (she can not remember the why). So that may explain it.

I had thought female sword because of the rounded tail and we had removed some sword fry back when.

The colors on this new guppy are very pretty and I am not unhappy to have the male guppy. I looked in our ever growing library of fish books and could not find any guppy with this colorization. Any further help would be appreciated.

NOTE: I was initially embarrassed missing the identification but on reflection realized it was simply another signal to my ignorance of the hobby.

I looked in our ever growing library of fish books and could not find any guppy with this colorization. Any further help would be appreciated.
My understanding is that most guppies are a mix of the colours on their parents, with lots of variation. What @emeraldking would call ‘mutts’ as they are accidentally bred with random couplings.
Your guppy seems to have a blue element in the photo which is pretty. The pattern I think is called snakeskin and seems a prominent gene in this fish. The tail shape is round but I don’t think this is used as a classification anymore, probably because shows favour the larger fancier fins.

We have these kind of colour variations quite often in our LFS

I think she is but looking for confirmation. A lovely gal.
Except of the fact that she a he...
Swordtails normally have a longer lower tail fin which is where they get their name from
Swordtail fish themselves are not named after the swords that males have. The name "swordtail fish" refers to the gonopodium of a male swordtail fish.
Swords in guppies are named after the swords (elongated outer caudal fin rays).
The tail shape is round but I don’t think this is used as a classification anymore, probably because shows favour the larger fancier fins.
Roundtails are still an offical tail shape at shows. This goes for all variations of tail shapes.

Except of the fact that she a he...

Swordtail fish themselves are not named after the swords that males have. The name "swordtail fish" refers to the gonopodium of a male swordtail fish.

Roundtails are still an offical tail shape at shows. This goes for all variations of tail shapes.
Except of the fact that she a he... So I have learned.

So according to that info, human males should be called swordtail primates :)

Most reactions

Back