Swordtail sick?

RZS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 55 gallon community tank, all the water levels check ok, but here is my scenario.

I have 3 red swordtails (1 male, 2 females). Recently, I have noticed that the male has been staying near the top of the tank, barely moving, and almost leaning against my powerhead.

At the same time, when I feed them, he swims readily to chase down the food. But once he's eaten, he's right back to the top near the filter.

He's also all but stopped chasing the females in the tank, and he shows no physical signs of sickness or damage (that I can recognize anyway).

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance.

:)

What's with the powerhead anyway? Is it because the current's more calm in that part of the tank? I say this because I have a female guppy that does the exact same thing, so did my female platy which I lost last month.
I'm sorry I son't have an exact answer to your question, only a few words of encouragement, I'm rather new at this.
Good luck with the sword!

Can you please post test results in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, to rule water quality out.

Wilder said:
Can you please post test results in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, to rule water quality out.
Sure, no problem.....

Nitrates 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH ~7.5

All the other fish seem fine, and actually today, the sword began swimming around more, and has been seen at the middle, and the bottom of the tank, but swimming more.

Thanks again.

freshy said:
What's with the powerhead anyway? Is it because the current's more calm in that part of the tank? I say this because I have a female guppy that does the exact same thing, so did my female platy which I lost last month.
I'm sorry I son't have an exact answer to your question, only a few words of encouragement, I'm rather new at this.
Good luck with the sword!
Yup, the powerhead keeps the water going in a corner that was pretty dead.

I was wondering the same thing, he seemed to be right behind the powerhead stream.

Thanks for the help.

My sword is doing a "little" better perhaps? Still waiting and watching.

Most reactions

Back