Swordtail cotton mouth?

If you're going to put all the same fish in, simply use the old filtermedia.
Oh right! Simple as that? As this tank is much larger if I used the existing filters PLUS a larger one would that also do the same thing? And does that mean I could effectively set it up and move them almost immediately and cycle with them in there?

Thankyou so much for that advice I thought it would still be weeks off, if it’s not then they could be in new tank by next week!

If stocking is the same and you can put the old media in the new filter it is okay.
Another option is to run the filters side by side for some time. But that will take a lot longer.

you have to treat the whole tank as columnaris can live in the water for about a month even without a single fish in it. so no point of putting them somewhere else move them back and get them infected again

To me it doesn't look like cotton mouth but more a kind of damaged. Could be from a fight.

To me it doesn't look like cotton mouth but more a kind of damaged. Could be from a fight.
I think you could be right - as he is being picked on. If he gets too close to the other males they attack him, so he keeps himself out the way, still eating etc normally. And the “fluff” seems to have gone. So wounds do this then? Strangely, a fish in my other tank (also swords) one of those males appeared with fluffy mouth too yesterday! And it’s not like anything is shared or anything like that, and I wonder if he too has been fighting…

I think you could be right - as he is being picked on. If he gets too close to the other males they attack him, so he keeps himself out the way, still eating etc normally. And the “fluff” seems to have gone. So wounds do this then? Strangely, a fish in my other tank (also swords) one of those males appeared with fluffy mouth too yesterday! And it’s not like anything is shared or anything like that, and I wonder if he too has been fighting…
Well, they "can" fight from time to time. It's just nature. Especially when a hierarchy is developing in the tank.

Most reactions

Back