Swollen belly in just (approximately) 7-8 hours!!!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

123.AM

Reaction score
Hello. My fish has a swollen belly and I'm very worried because it was fine when I fed them at 1pm and now it's swimming is very abnormal. The fish is twisting upside down with it's belly facing upward and floating upward. The fish is trying its best to balance itself. It stays lying upside down on thr gravel and suddenly gets up to try and swim. These are the fishes I have rn ( there were many before. They all died once a day or two). The big green ones were infected with ICH and spread it in the whole aquarium when I bought them. I treated them with methylene blue and anti-chlorine. I clearly don't know much about them. Pls help...

Attachments

• 20210803_202910.jpg
    20210803_202910.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210803_202731.jpg
    20210803_202731.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 54
Hello. My fish has a swollen belly and I'm very worried because it was fine when I fed them at 1pm and now it's swimming is very abnormal. The fish is twisting upside down with it's belly facing upward and floating upward. The fish is trying its best to balance itself. It stays lying upside down on thr gravel and suddenly gets up to try and swim. These are the fishes I have rn ( there were many before. They all died once a day or two). The big green ones were infected with ICH and spread it in the whole aquarium when I bought them. I treated them with methylene blue and anti-chlorine. I clearly don't know much about them. Pls help...
water params?

How long has the tank been set up?
How long have you had the fish?
Is the tank cycled?

water params?
1x2.5x2 feet aquarium. Temp: 31.5C. I treat the aquarium everytime I change the water once 1 or 2 weeks with methylene blue and anti-chlorine, turn on the oxygen and put the fish in the aquarium after approx. 20-30mins I put the medicine in. Don't know about anything else if there is, sorry.

How long has the tank been set up?
How long have you had the fish?
Is the tank cycled?
Tank was set up 8 months ago. Same time for the fish. By cycled, do you mean how often I change the water?

Tank was set up 8 months ago. Same time for the fish. By cycled, do you mean how often I change the water?
We mean that, after you completely set up your tank, you leave it running for a few weeks, because what happens is fish poop releases ammonia, suffocating fish, cycling it leaves good bacteria that eats that ammonia, so hes asking if fully cycled, there should be no ammonia, so how long did you leave the tank running before putting fish in?

Also, that tank is almost 90F, way too warm for these fish, O2 levels are probably minimal, at best
If that's the case, then I messed up pretty big. The temp was 25-27C in the start. It reached 30C last month and remained same since then. Also, the tank is not cycled at all. Maybe that's why the death rate was maximum last month because of suffocation, O2 level and high temp. As I said, I don't have any knowledge about them.

Also, that tank is almost 90F, way too warm for these fish, O2 levels are probably minimal, at best
Also, the fish is now just lying upside down and stopped swimming. It was being attacked by the golden one ( the pic in the first message) so I removed that fish temporarily. I think the fish is done for and it will die in the next few minutes

If that's the case, then I messed up pretty big. The temp was 25-27C in the start. It reached 30C last month and remained same since then. Also, the tank is not cycled at all. Maybe that's why the death rate was maximum last month because of suffocation, O2 level and high temp. As I said, I don't have any knowledge about them.
First off, get that water temp down (gradually) to 25C or so....then, do a large water change, with whatever water conditioner you have...match the new water temp to the tank water temp...if you have a bubbler, turn it on to max, or crank up your filter, the oxygen in that tank is probably minimal, surface agitation will help with gas exchange.

Get one of these ASAP: https://apifishcare.com/product/freshwater-master-test-kit

We need to know your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte, using that test kit.

Stop the meth blue.

Get a GOOD quality water conditioner, such as Seachem Prime, or API Tap Water Conditioner...use these to treat your tap water during water changes, no other chemicals needed, follow the instructions on the bottle.

You will be doing a fish-in cycle, so read and understand this the best you can, and post any questions you may have here...

Fish-in cycle: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-i.433769/

along with that, if the tank is not cycled, that means the fish have been suffocating from their own poop due to levels of ammonia in the tank

I change the water once 1 or 2 weeks with methylene blue
Methylene blue kills bacteria including the good bacteria we want to grow. If you add this at every water change, the tank will never cycle and the good bacteria that manage to grow between water changes will be killed off at the next one.
The only thing that needs to be added to the new water at a water change is a water conditioner to remove chlorine.

Most reactions

Back