Switching to sand

DXG

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've decided to switch from gravel to sand.

How much will I need and do you know anyway cheap in the UK where I can get it ?

I've done some searches and a lot of people say Argos play sand, but I don't think they sell it any more.

I'm looking for a nice golden colour and enough to cover a 4 foot tank with about 2 inches.

Thanks

Try homebase. For a 4ft tank covering of 2" you will need 50 kg(2 bags) around £4.19 a bag.
HTH

Thanks Wolf

I'll be heading off there at 10:00 - It's gonna be a long day .........

Got the last one from B+Q for £3.99 and a bag will do a 4 ft, most play sand tends to be the light coloured stuff.

Finished !

2 bags of sand - 2 hours of cleaning - 2 hours to replace.

hard work, but I think well worth it.

sand.jpg

DXG said:
Finished !

2 bags of sand - 2 hours of cleaning - 2 hours to replace.

hard work, but I think well worth it.
Looking good :D
It should be totally clear within 36 hrs, or quicker
depending on filtration of course.

i put mine in a bucket filled it to the brim, mixing at the same time, let the sand settle, then pour the water out and start again. hopefully each time you wash it you should get lots of scum unitl its running clear.

i used play sand which was quite clean to start with, it took about half an hour to clean it.

i was also thinking about changing to sand...does your tank need to recycle? i'm assuming the bacteria all comes out when you take out the gravel...

Kelso said:
i was also thinking about changing to sand...does your tank need to recycle? i'm assuming the bacteria all comes out when you take out the gravel...
Most of the bacteria lives in your filter, some does live in the gravel.
you can transplant the bacteria by putting all or at least half the gravel in a pair ot stockings and laying them on the new sand bed for two days. The bacteria will then migrate to the sand and the gravel can be easily removed.

Most reactions

Back