Swapping Tanks

Andy1927

Reaction score
This is a quick question that hopefully someone will have an answer to..... I basically have the opportunity to acquire a slightly larger (30l larger) tank for my living room, but the problem is that it would have to go where my current one is, so...... can I simply swap over ALL media, be that sand, water, plants and filters and go from there, or would I still have to cycle the new tank as the issue would be with the glass itself..... If there's any chance I would harm my Barbs that are currently housed in the tank then I would rather not risk it, but if it can be done then I'm sure they'd be very grateful for the extra 30l....

I did exactly that a fortnight ago, just prepare properly and it will be fine. No need to recycle although try to keep half the tank water if you can. Will stress the fish less.

If your not increasing the fish in the new tank will be a simple swap over, also check the current filter is capable to turn over the bigger tank

Brilliant..... Thanks guys and yes, the filter is more than capable as it's twice as powerful as I actually needed for the tank as it originally housed Pearscales, but now only has my precious Barbs in there, so is more than capable of coping with an extra 30l..... once again... thanks for the advice.... will go get the tank now... :good:

just a kwik word of caution/advice. It can be quite surprising how quickly a filter can go anerobic. If you can keep it turning over in a large bucket, this would give you all the time you need to set up and aquascape your new tank. Enjoy.

just a kwik word of caution/advice. It can be quite surprising how quickly a filter can go anerobic. If you can keep it turning over in a large bucket, this would give you all the time you need to set up and aquascape your new tank. Enjoy.

As long as the media is wet it will last well over 24hr with no adverse effects :good:

Most reactions

Back