Swapping Filter Over

kris2112

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i am mid cycle with my 55g tank and i have decided i want to swap my filter over to an external because the one i have in at the moment is very large and quite ugly.

so firstly what is the best filter to go for between £50 - £100 prefferably
and also what is the best way to go about adding it to my tank so i dont upset the cycle.

Not sure on what type of filter you could get for that price range because I live in the U.S.

But when changing filters over, just completely set up your new one, then just take whatever filter media you have in your current on and put it into your new one.

-FHM

so by putting the media in from my old filter it will avoid start the cycle again or a mini cycle?

so by putting the media in from my old filter it will avoid start the cycle again or a mini cycle?

Yeah, you will be fine.

There might by a slight spike in ammonia or nitrite, but it wont last for long. Just do a water change if that happens. But most likely everything will be fine.

-FHM

I'd just like to back up what FHM said there. Move all the media from the old filter into the new one.

Make sure you have as short as possible a transition period, and make the media stays wet at all times during the process (keeping it in tank water at all times is best).

After your swap over, monitor ammonia and nitrite levels daily for around a week and if any ammonia or nitrite whatsoever is detected, you must do water changes to get rid of it.

Any further questions, just ask.

BTT :good:

i think im gna go with the fluval 305 has got lots of good reviews and goes for around £75

now my next question is
what do u think the best way to set the media is?
should i buy any more media?

i currently have sponge -> bio rings -> thin sponge -> carbon -> thin sponge
in that order thats how my old filter came.

and 1 last thing would it help if i keep them both running while the tank is mid cycle or would it not make any difference?

Have a look at the Tetratec filter line. They seem to be well thought of although not available to us here in the US.

As far as media, I like to load a filter with coarse then fine sponge followed by lots of biomedia and finally a thin layer of polishing material.

The idea of keeping your present filter cycling while adding the new one is a good idea. The original filter may well become fully cycled while the new one is still building its first colony of ammonia eating bacteria. The mere presence of the right bacteria in the already cycling filter will mean the same bacteria are present to start cycling the new filter. When the cycle looks like it is done, you could even add fish while the second filter catches up with the first one.

Yes, have to agree here, lots of experienced members on our forum have given glowing reports of the TetraTec cannisters. I believe the ones they discuss are the EX600, EX700 and EX1200. There seems to be more controversy about the Fluvals in that we hear from both extremes, some who say their Fluvals have been great over the years and others who are quite upset with them, claiming water can "leak" past the media without being filtered or can "leak" out of the filter box (this may be maintenance problems on the part of owners though.)

Because you'd be moving media to a cannister, if you took that route, it would be pretty easy to fit whatever shaped media you have from the existing filter into the trays of the new filter probably. I agree with the other route too, that of doubling up the filters.. extremely easy way to go and should be effective.

~~waterdrop~~

okay people here's the score
went out today b4 having chance to read some of your replies and bought the fluvel 305 at £85

saw the tetratec for £95 was thinking about it but decided to go for the fluvel as the shop owner recommended it even tho it was cheaper and also because of the reviews i read.

anyway damage is done now.
would just like to note it was a real easy to set up and also (bear in mind im a newbie) its damn simple with very little mess to maintain just flick one little switch to stop water flow and another to detach in and output.

then empty water into sink and do what needed to the media.

i placed media from my old filter , sponge at bottom of filter, carbon 500g and 250g in middle then bio rings at top 500g and 250g

should i expect any big spikes or any advice on how to work media much appreciated thanks

I've got the tetratec ex 1200, had it a year, maybe a little more, brilliant filter, bought it online can't remember how much but was a bargain. Silent filter, very easy to setup, no leaks, loads of media. All in all a good value filter for the price.

only had tank up for 2 weeks had established gravel in since start

Yes, I think some Fluval users will come along if you want more verification on your media stack order. In my own order, in the direction the water is going, I start with a large volume of ceramic rings, then coarse sponge, then a large volume of ceramic gravel, then fine polyfloss pad as a final catch, but my cannister is an eheim, not a fluval.

Good maintenance and you should be good for years.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back