Swapping betta tanks

Kellyc

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've had my betta Sushi for about a year. He's my first fish as an adult and I've made many mistakes when switching tanks so I want to do this right since he's in a fragile state. I'm switching him from a fluval 5 gallon to aqueon ascent 6 gallon. I have the new tank all set up except no water. This is where I need your help. I've read about cycling which is a bit confusing, and if I understand right can take up to a month to cycle. I want to transfer him as soon as I can but without furthur stressing him. Previously I posted about him breathing really hard at bottom or top of tank and not doing much, I was told to fast him since he looked bloated. I fasted him for 3 days and he's still the same. I've done frequent water changes to keep water clean during this, and did about 75% water change yesterday in his old tank trying to get the little white hair-like worms that I've noticed in his tank. My question is can I transfer the water from his old tank to his new tank and then put him in new tank? What's the best way to do this? I'm hoping this new tank will be better because ever since the fluval chi filter pump and light broke he hasn't been the same with the replacements I picked.

Hello everyone! I've had my betta Sushi for about a year. He's my first fish as an adult and I've made many mistakes when switching tanks so I want to do this right since he's in a fragile state. I'm switching him from a fluval 5 gallon to aqueon ascent 6 gallon. I have the new tank all set up except no water. This is where I need your help. I've read about cycling which is a bit confusing, and if I understand right can take up to a month to cycle. I want to transfer him as soon as I can but without furthur stressing him. Previously I posted about him breathing really hard at bottom or top of tank and not doing much, I was told to fast him since he looked bloated. I fasted him for 3 days and he's still the same. I've done frequent water changes to keep water clean during this, and did about 75% water change yesterday in his old tank trying to get the little white hair-like worms that I've noticed in his tank. My question is can I transfer the water from his old tank to his new tank and then put him in new tank? What's the best way to do this? I'm hoping this new tank will be better because ever since the fluval chi filter pump and light broke he hasn't been the same with the replacements I picked.
Transfering the water dosent do anything, the bacteria lives on surfaces. Move the filter media over to the new tank, make sure ita the same temp and move him over

Ok, so when I move the filter media do I put it in new filter for new tank or just place inside of new tank?

Ok, so when I move the filter media do I put it in new filter for new tank or just place inside of new tank?
In the filter. Either way works but this way it's out of the way :)

Most reactions

Back