Sunset Dwarf Rainbow Fish

Dana C

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My friend has 4 sunset dwarf rainbow fish which she has had for about a month but has got to get rid of them because some of the other fish have been bullying them.

She wants to know if I would like them for my tank but I don't really know anything about them and if they would be compatable in my tank.
They look nice so I would like them if possible but wanted to check first.

My tank is 180 litres and my fish are in my profile but it is mainly cories, danios and tetras.

Any info would be helpful, I really need to know if they are peaceful or not before I give her an answer.

Thanks in advance

i dont see why you couldnt have them with those fish.

dwarf rainbows stay small (6cm max.) and are really peaceful. they look great in a school. (6+)

Thanks for your reply,

I wasn't sure if they were fin nippers or not so just wanted to make sure they were peaceful before I said yes.

very very peaceful!! the most i have seen them do is the largest to chase the smallest for around 5 secs...thats it!!

they shoal well and sometimes they even join my tiger barbs for a liesurely get together lol!! ....but they dont have any tiger barb traits (ie nip other fish!)

oh and they spawn pretty easy, but if you want to raise the eggs you'll need to put the pair of rainbows in a seperate tank!

mine spawned for the first time today in a plant, but before i could do anything my tiger barbs had eaten the eggs! im now thinking about setting up a small 2nd tank to raise some rainbows

My friend has 4 sunset dwarf rainbow fish which she has had for about a month but has got to get rid of them because some of the other fish have been bullying them.
Any info would be helpful, I really need to know if they are peaceful or not before I give her an answer.

Thanks in advance

No problems with the fish you have already. Like 14gtr14 said.

But I'm wondering, "sunset dwarf rainbow fish". Which fish is it?
All these common names are quite confusing. Are you talking about Melanotaenia praecox?

Two of the fish look like the ones in your link, the other 2 are more of a red colour. Sorry don't know the proper names as my friend never finds out she just buys fish that look nice.

Thanks for the site link lots of good info and nice pictures.

Most reactions

Back