Sump Size / Content

Uriel

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've hopefully secured myself a 400l tank which i will be drilling and then adding a sump too. I have an old 8ft / 18 / 20 which i was going to cut up for glass for the sump so having it absolutely filling the cabinet or tiny make no difference to me cost wise. So by rough calculations i think i could get a 260l sump in the cabinet with a bit of modification.

1. Is this to big, is it even possible for your sump to be to big.

2. What would you put in this sump if it was your tank.

3. Should I leave space for any reactors ? I've been running rowaphos in my curing tank but wasn't sure if with skimmer and perhaps cheato this would be neccesary ?

1. Sump cannot be too big, so whatever you can fit comfortably, I would go for.

2. Standard sump chambers should be suffice... Chamber for skimmer, heater, reactors etc. Refugium chamber, output chamber. There are a ton of different sump designs out there, including those in people's journals. If you haven't already checked it out, http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html, a GREAT resource for sump designs and generally DIY sumps. I'd come up with a design sketch and then post it and get feedback.

3. I would make room, you never know what you might need. Reactors aren't very large you may not even necessarily have to "make room" for it. I did not plan for mine, it fits snuggly next to the protein skimmer.

The only way a sump can be to big is if you can't get it out if you should crack it. A sump needs to be removable w/out having to take your whole tank apart to lift it out of the stand.

I will run my sump as follows:

1st drain and skimmer
2nd return
3rd fuge with sand, cheato and a bit of live rock.

Tee off your return so cleaner water gets to the cheato. Otherwise you'll have more debri and things to siphon off.

Most reactions

Back