Suitable Tank Mates

chrisbassist

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, My wife wants a betta, and we have a spare 10G tank amonst all our junk from our move, since it's a 10G it'll look a little lost all on its own, so wanted tankmates...

I know they're not exactly the most social fish so I thought i'd ask for advice.

I'm happy to take advice on different animals too, would happily set it up as a small paludarium for more land based frogs and stuff.

So... Suggestions?

The only tankmate I would suggest is a golden apple snail. I chose pygmy corys at first but he kept flaring at them and chasing them, so now hes on his own apart from a snail.
other suggestions would include, a shoal of something bright and colourful, glowlight danios, or pygmy corys are ab fab, they are so funny they would cheer you up after a long day. 10 gallon would allow a 10 shoal. they would be great, or 6 pygmy and 4 glowlight tetra, or 2 dwarf honey gourami as the show fish. or 4 corys, ( 2 peppered, 1 bronze and 1 julii, or your own fav mix)any fish that will have a total adult length of 10inches

cheers

was thinking about a couple of african dwarf frogs,

and yes, I love corys, I have a small shoal of 5 skunk corys in the main tank.

any other suggestions?

hiya :)

i would advise Bottom dwelling fish only, so cories or loaches would do nicely. Maybe some Pygmy cories (these swim all levels of the tank)

Hope that helps.

Oh yes, and bettas like highly planted tanks :)

From what i have read, ADF's and bettas get on well.

I think the member Jenste has a betta ion with frogs.

yeah, I already got a lot of advice on the ADFs from Jenste, very helpful, but currently exploring other options since we can't find them anywhere...

the best fish shop locally has a few frogs, a tank of albinos which they advised were clawed, not dwarfs, and the other tank the guy said he wasn't sure what they were but "might" be what we're looking for. only my wife had looked soI then went to double check, saw no webbing on front feet, and the tag said xenopus something, which i'm pretty sure is a clawed... can't find them here, i suppose the other optin there is looking online, any suggestions on that?

yeah, I already got a lot of advice on the ADFs from Jenste, very helpful, but currently exploring other options since we can't find them anywhere...

the best fish shop locally has a few frogs, a tank of albinos which they advised were clawed, not dwarfs, and the other tank the guy said he wasn't sure what they were but "might" be what we're looking for. only my wife had looked soI then went to double check, saw no webbing on front feet, and the tag said xenopus something, which i'm pretty sure is a clawed... can't find them here, i suppose the other optin there is looking online, any suggestions on that?

Cool! :)

Are you from the UK or US?
If UK, you could try Ebay, or even google search ''buy adf's online'' , a list of suppliers should come up.

UK..

I'm not 100% keen on ebay, I like to see things before I bu usually, and if i can't do that then at least know it's def a reputable seller, which seem few and far between on ebay, but my wife has had good experiences with ebay so if it comes to that will let her take care of it.

No bother. :)

I have just read P@H sometimes have them.

I would also suggest trying Tri-Mar Aquatics, Aquarists Classifieds.

or this: http://www.directtropicals.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=293

Hi, My wife wants a betta, and we have a spare 10G tank amonst all our junk from our move, since it's a 10G it'll look a little lost all on its own, so wanted tankmates...

I know they're not exactly the most social fish so I thought i'd ask for advice.

I'm happy to take advice on different animals too, would happily set it up as a small paludarium for more land based frogs and stuff.

So... Suggestions?
id go for bottom dwellers mainly like shrimp, pygmy cory and adfs. for mid dwellers ive had luck with endlers but others small shoaling fish like galaxy rasbora and ember tetras will also work.
i would go for
1 betta
8 pygmy corys
3 endlers ( 1 male 2 females)
8 galaxy rasbora

i would recommend a paludrium because bettas are good at jumping and i would be worried it would just onto the land and get stuck.

I have just found that Lotus has killed his tank mate...A Nirite snail! On his own he will stay!

No bother. :)

I have just read P@H sometimes have them.

I would also suggest trying Tri-Mar Aquatics, Aquarists Classifieds.

or this: http://www.directtropicals.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=293

I found that site around the same time as you, thank you for the help, my wie is now thanking me because that's what she wanted anyway but we couldn't find anyway :good:

i would recommend a paludrium because bettas are good at jumping and i would be worried it would just onto the land and get stuck.

I take it you mean you wouldn't recommed a paludarium? Cheers, if we can get african dwarfs we won't anyway since they're fully aquatic :good:

I have just found that Lotus has killed his tank mate...A Nirite snail! On his own he will stay!

No snails is is :good:

above someone said a dwarf gourami and that would be a bad idea. i would go with smaller fish like neon, glowlights, and varieties of only small fish of groups. also a good planted tank so the betta or others can go away from everything else. Cory's are a good idea but i would go with the smaller cory's.

Most reactions

Back