Suggestions for tank-mates

rorrism

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a 96L tank with 6 Platys in (2 male, 4 female) and 2 albino cories. I am just trying to decide what to purchase next.

I was looking in a pet store yesterday (see my post on pets @ home) an really liked the look of the albino shark and the RTBS but I think they may be a bit aggresive for the rest of the tank, especially with 2 of the platys expecting (I think). My partner thinks we should get some Koi angels that we have seen in another pet store and I like the look of the clown loaches. I know the loaches get quite big, albeit over a long period of time and I am worried about the angels being terrorised.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. In an ideal world I would have opted for red Parrot cichlids but I am aware that these would be too big for my tank and unfriendly to the rest of the tank occpants.

Mark

You could put a male betta in there but that's going to be a risk you're gonna have to take.

I am in a similar situation (still planning to buy new tank), I'm partial to smaller fishes, though, among the safest options I came up with would be schooling fish--mostly tetras--and other livebearers.

Rainbow sharks are not that aggressive to other fish, only fish of their kind. What about some kind of loach of cory. Basically a bottom dweller, leaving more room for your livebearers?

I'd suggest a few more Corys :nod: They like to be in groups of at least three or four :nod:

I don't know what size your tank is in U.S. gallons, so I don't know if Clown Loaches would be a good addition or not. Clown Loaches grow to be around 8", I believe, and also like to be in groups. They're fun fish, though, from what I've heard!

That's all I can think of right now. It's 5:30 a.m. and it's past my bedtime. :D

Let us know what you decide!

Pamela
aka Married Lizard :wub:

I've already got the 2 albino corys (I think that's what they're called) but would be very keen on loaches. What should I be looking for in regards to how many of which species would be suitable for my size of tank?

Loaches are cool. You could not have clown loaches in that size of tank but there are mahy other cool ones. :)

Loaches like to be in groups and some of my favourites are weather loaches (usually in the coldwater section of shops but they are borderline and can go in a not too warm tropical tank) and kuhli loaches are really cool too. Especially if you get about 4 of them and then you'll see them more often. My weather loaches are very active and always out and about. Mine sit at the top of the water on plants.

It really depends what is available in your area. Some people find it really hard to get kuhli loaches, I had to get mine online. You should add your location to your profile ;)

Maybe have a look here for ideas on loaches.

Oh and I would suggest at least one more albino cory. :)

~ Dana ~

I'll have a look at what loaches are available after work today

My tank works out at just over 25 US gallon, 21 imperial gallon with dimensions 81L x 46H x 36W cm

I thought the clowns would be too big.... I would kid myself that I'd get a bigger tank but that would mean a new house and I can't gaurantee that. It's one thing spending a bit of cash on a tank, but with the housing market the way it is in the UK at the moment a new house is out of the question

rorrism said:
I've already got the 2 albino corys (I think that's what they're called) but would be very keen on loaches. What should I be looking for in regards to how many of which species would be suitable for my size of tank?
Cories like to be in groups so I'd get at least one or 2 more.

looks like my next purchase will be another cory then. I was advised at the LFS to buy at least 2, should have bought more really. Was just a case of having £5.20 in my pocket, £3 for 5 platies and the corys were £1.10 each. I'll make sure I've got more money next time :p

Will it make a difference if I chose something other than albinos, or will they all get along? I have read that the albinos are supposed to be the most active, but I dunno if I fancy something different.

Mark

Most reactions

Back