Suggestions for making filters safe?

ColourMeSurprised

Reaction score
Hi!

I’ve currently got a couple of tanks set up with planted cycles ongoing, and the small one is looking like it’s close to ready to add a few fish or shrimp. However both tanks are gonna need some finagling to make the filters safe, and I was wondering if anyone could advise as to the best ways to do this?

The 40L is the one with the most problematic filter, with a large, open top along with the probably larger than ideal inlet holes.

44AF849C-362F-4A5A-A8B0-E1DF6EC3F2AB.jpeg 811F2830-1950-474D-A615-0AC8357C8BA0.jpeg

The 180L is less of an obvious problem, but I imagine it’s still going to be too easy for shrimp and small fish to derp their way into the inlet.

787741BF-DC5F-4A8C-96BB-3C63EBD8BE64.jpeg

I’m pretty stumped on what to do with the 40L, but for the 180L I was wondering about stretching fine netting (maybe even a section if cut up tights) over the inlet and securing it underneath? I was thinking an elastic band might be good for this, but not sure if that would leech chemicals into the tank and/or get nibbled on?

You can put a small piece of sponge over intake #2. This will keep all shrimp and fish out of it. You can buy sponges make sure aquariums on Amazon.com, and cut them to size.

I have a similar filter in my 29g tank, which houses cherry shrimp and neon tetras. They have never got stuck/sucked up in the filter. If you are still wary, you can add some pantyhose over the intake.

You can put a small piece of sponge over intake #2. This will keep all shrimp and fish out of it. You can buy sponges make sure aquariums on Amazon.com, and cut them to size.

I have a similar filter in my 29g tank, which houses cherry shrimp and neon tetras. They have never got stuck/sucked up in the filter. If you are still wary, you can add some pantyhose over the intake.

Oh gosh, I feel daft! The guy I bought the tank from left some of those sponge tubes in the empty tank and it didn’t even slightly occur to me that that’s what they were for! You’re a star, thank you! I’ll get one of those rinsed out and popped on - thanks!

Just the 40L murder filter to worry about then!

It’s pretty much standard practice to put prefilter sponge over the intake pipes to help prevent fish and shrimps being sucked into the filter.

Picture below gives you an idea of what I mean.

9F6D1955-2D19-45B5-9FD4-9ACBE026FC46.jpeg

(Pic is from an generic eBay site selling prefilters, fairly cheap and easy to get.)

It’s pretty much standard practice to put prefilter sponge over the intake pipes to help prevent fish and shrimps being sucked into the filter.

Picture below gives you an idea of what I mean.

View attachment 114200
(Pic is from an generic eBay site selling prefilters, fairly cheap and easy to get.)

Thank you! I feel so silly for not realising that the sponge tubes the guy who sold me it left in the tank were for that! XD So that solves one of my two problems nice and easily. Thanks so much for this! :)

I’m pretty stumped on what to do with the 40L, but for the 180L I was wondering about stretching fine netting (maybe even a section if cut up tights) over the inlet and securing it underneath? I was thinking an elastic band might be good for this, but not sure if that would leech chemicals into the tank and/or get nibbled on?
Cut up tights would work over the inlet slots for the 40L. You don't need to worry about the top because it is out of the water and the flow will take care of any little guys who fancy a swim upstream.

Oh gosh, I feel daft! The guy I bought the tank from left some of those sponge tubes in the empty tank and it didn’t even slightly occur to me that that’s what they were for! You’re a star, thank you! I’ll get one of those rinsed out and popped on - thanks!

Just the 40L murder filter to worry about then!
No problem! :fish:

Yeah, when I had shrimp I would occasionally ask Mrs. Badger for an old pair of her hose. Cut a piece, put a knot in one end, and slip it over the intake. Boom!

I always had more of a problem with critters climbing/swimming up the outlet waterfall and taking up residence in the filter. Every time I'd clean the thing out I'd find a few amano shrimp and ottos in there. I never found a good way around that, and it's part of the reason I started using canister filters.

Yeah, when I had shrimp I would occasionally ask Mrs. Badger for an old pair of her hose. Cut a piece, put a knot in one end, and slip it over the intake. Boom!

I always had more of a problem with critters climbing/swimming up the outlet waterfall and taking up residence in the filter. Every time I'd clean the thing out I'd find a few amano shrimp and ottos in there. I never found a good way around that, and it's part of the reason I started using canister filters.
Shrimp can do it, so can Plecos apparently?? Lol. (Found my BNP in my filter the other day. He climbed out of water to get in there)

Shrimp have also gone in there, and not died.

Most reactions

Back