Suggestions/comments On My Tetra Tank?

HooplegendA23

Reaction score
So I bought a 20 Gallon Fish Tank.. In It I have -

3 - Blue Neon Tetras
2 - Black Neon Tetras
2 - Glowlight Tetras
2 - One Tetra is Bright Pink an the Ohter Is Bright Yellow im not sure what there called.
1 - Red Tailed Shark

I Loooove Tetras and The Red Tailed Shark is my favorite tropical fish. The Red Tailed Shark and Tetras get along fine. Some questions i have is..

How many tetras can i fit in my tank?

Is there any other cool looking tetras i could get?

Is there any other cool looking fish that would be good with Tetras?

Any comments or Suggestions On My Fish Tank?

I believe that, size permitting, you should really look to have your tetras in schools - mostly in schools of at least 6 to 10. And by type too.

I believe that, size permitting, you should really look to have your tetras in schools - mostly in schools of at least 6 to 10. And by type too.

Yeah thats what I've heard as well, tetras should be kept in groups of 5 of their own kind.
I would expand on your glowlights and blue neons as they look great in larger schools.

Also I believe that shark may outgrow your tank.....see here:

http://www.tropicalfish4u.co.uk/Fish/Fresh...dtailBlackShark

Is this what you've got? You may be alright with it if you keep other fish to a minimum. But that link does say it can become aggressive to smaller fish in its latter years.

Hope this helps

Dave

ahh cool cool so then ill do 6 of each tetra and maybe bump up my tank to a 30 gallon then.

It would be better if you could only have two or three groups of about eight. Especially if you can't upgrade to a 30g.

Also the Red Tailed sharks are one of my favorite FW fish too. But they do get pretty aggresive once they are full grown. There are some exceptions but usually they get too aggresive for the average community tank. :(

hmm well as soon as i start seeing some aggression ill buy another tank with some larger fish i can put it in... but all the shark does is swim in an out of this treasure chest in the tank lol

Assuming the tank is cycled this is the stocking I would suggest if you want lots of different species. Personally I like to keep tetras in big groups and in a 20g I would probably just get a group of 20neon tetras with some Corys and maybe a pair of Blue Rams.

Based on your current stocking I would suggest:
6 - Blue Neon Tetras
6 - Black Neon Tetras
6 - Glowlight Tetras
5 - Cory's (lots of different types you can get, make sure all 5 are the same though).
6 - Cherry Shrimp
Apple Snail

This gives you lots of things to watch in all areas of the tank and you will really get the best out of the Tetras in a larger group. Make sure there are lots of plants (real or fake) and places for them to explore/hide. They also like a pretty good current to swim against as well.

Tetras dont do very well in small numbers and they also dont look as good imo.

Most reactions

Back