suddently fat tetra

Crystal

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just noticed one of my neon tetras is fat! Well, its belly is anyways. i know I have not been overfeeding and they had not just eaten, so is it possible it is pregnant? I have only had them a month and a bit, and they have been in their new tank for a week, so I am unsure. It is otherwise quite healthy looking and plays in the bubbles and is active as usual.

I don't have neon tetras, but I think they're egg layers not live-bearers. It wouldn't be pregnant. :/

How much reading have you done for this species of fish?
Have you read up about cycling, water changes, and water quality?

I know they are not livebearers, sorry, I was not thinking straight. I have done a lot of reading on them, and yes, I have read about cycling, water changes, and quality. I noticed it today when I was doing a change actually. The tank went through the fishless cycle, and the fish have been added in about a week ago.

Saw your other thread you've posted. A little worried that you had decided to buy this fish from them, and from the LFS's 'tank of death'.

It could have an internal infection. It could be dropsy. Are the scales 'sticking out'? Is the fish swimming near the surface?

kribsinvcrib said:
Saw your other thread you've posted. A little worried that you had decided to buy this fish from them, and from the LFS's 'tank of death'.

It could have an internal infection. It could be dropsy. Are the scales 'sticking out'? Is the fish swimming near the surface?
:blink: :(

kribsinvcrib said:

it is not that one. The one I got there is in a 1gal tank. by itself.
This is one of the ones I had for a while. Scales look normal, it is the same as usual, nothing is out of the ordinary.

Most reactions

Back