Substrate

The play sand here in the UK needs rinsing A LOT. If you think it needs rinsing 5 times, do it 10. That way you get rid of the dust and it doesn't kick up. Cleaning is easy as the dirt sits on the top. You just swirl a syphon above the sand and it sucks up the dirt.
The post about dust kicking up was probably because the person didn't wash it enough then. I will take play sand, that way i am 100% sure it is safe for corydoras and I like how it looks

The post about dust kicking up was probably because the person didn't wash it enough then. I will take play sand, that way i am 100% sure it is safe for corydoras and I like how it looks

Yes. I can assure you from talking with the Corydoras experts elsewhere than industrial sands (other than play sand) are not safe for substrate filter feeding fish (cories especially). As for the "dirt," it is after all just fine particles of dirt, and that is not in the least troublesome to fish and invertebrates. And once the tank is running, it will settle.

I do not rinse sand all that much. With new play sand, I rinse about 4 or 5 cups in a bucket five times. When the rinsed sand is in the empty tank, about 1.5 to 2 inch overall depth, I do the hard scaping (wood, rock, etc) to get everything where I want it. If I have substrate-root plants, I fill the tank about half full and plant. Then I drain all that water out, down to the sand. Then I place a clean bowl somewhere on the substrate and carefully fill the tank by running the water into the bowl. As it fills, the water will gently run over and stir up very little sand.

This is pretty helpful information, as I was reading a book that recommended commercial soil-based substrates if one wants to grow healthy plants. Now it seems that may not be the best advice; if so, I don't have to spend so much!

I am wondering--how would it work to use play sand as a lower substrate and put a coarser substrate over it? I'm guessing that any fish that like to sift through the substrate will mix it all together over time . . .

And what are "root tabs"?

Also, I'm thinking of getting some of the smaller South American Cichlids and whatever fish might do well with them, if that makes any difference. My husband wants a community tank; I'm interested in the Cichlids, so I'm trying to find some sort of happy medium. If possible. LOL!

Last edited:
This is pretty helpful information, as I was reading a book that recommended commercial soil-based substrates if one wants to grow healthy plants. Now it seems that may not be the best advice; if so, I don't have to spend so much!

I am wondering--how would it work to use play sand as a lower substrate and put a coarser substrate over it? I'm guessing that any fish that like to sift through the substrate will mix it all together over time . . .

Also, I'm thinking of getting some of the smaller South American Cichlids and whatever fish might do well with them, if that makes any difference. My husband wants a community tank; I'm interested in the Cichlids, so I'm trying to find some sort of happy medium. If possible. LOL!
Root tabs are things that you put in the substrate of your aquarium to slowly deliver nutriments to the roots of plants but they are just useful if you have root feeder like cryptocoryne, vallesineria, amazon sword ect...

I'll respond to your questions, but it might be better for you to start a new thread; more members will likely see a new thread than a post on the third page of another thread. And, welcome to TFF! :hi:

Yes, soil carries risks but really no actual benefit long-term. Non-rough sand is the best substrate for plants and fish; fine gravel or even pea gravel can work with certain biotopes like a Central American river. Fish like cories need sand so it is the best all-round material.

Different substrate materials will always mix in time, due to not only fish activity but normal water movement. There are thermal currents in the substrate aside from any upper water movement. With sand as the sole material you will be better off.

Meg answered this. I recomend Seachem's Flourish Tabs. These are incredible for larger substrate-rooted plants like swords. One tab near the crown of the plant, replaced every 3-4 months.

First we need to know the source (tap) water parameters, especially GH (general hardness), and pH too. And the tank dimensions as well as volume. Definitely start this in a new thread.

Will do--after I go pick up the play sand I ordered from Home Depot, as our city is going into lockdown tomorrow at midnight! I'm just hoping I can get some plants to get started building the aquarium!

Most reactions

Back