Substrate saviour

Lynnzer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I have loads of old gravel in a bucket that I took from tank when I did a complete overhaul. Problem is that it's wet and won't dry in the bucket. I don't want to throw it away so pondered how in hell I could dry it out.
I got it figured this morning.
I got a pair of my wife's old black tights and scooped half a bucket of gravel into each leg and have left it hanging from the fence to dry out.
It'll be just my luck if it pours down.......

I dry out old gravel by putting it on baking sheets and laying it out in the sun. If you don’t want to put the gravel straight on the baking sheet, you can use some plastic wrap.

If you think wet gravel is a PITA to dry, try drying out sand. I use multiple plastic (or other waterproof) trays, the bigger the better. I spread out a thin layer of sand and that allows the water evaporate completely much faster. When dry, I bag it and add a new layer to the tray to dry. In summer I do this outside the house on the deck in the sun. It should also work for gravel.

Years back I bought a bunch of used stuff from a fishkeeper selling everything. This included a 5 gal. water jug normally used, upside down, in a water dispenser. The top with the nozzle was cut off and it was filled with wet gravel. I did not use it for over a year. When I finally did, it was still damp nearer the bottom and, to my surprise, there were still some live trapdoor snails in it.

Most reactions

Back