Substrate Mix - First Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gav_B_UK

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I'm going to be setting up my first Tropical tank next week (I used to keep a reef tank). I have decided on the following for a substrate:

1 inch of Brown/Red Florite at the bottom
1 inch of Silver Sand on top
A few loose areas of gravel for effect

Is this a good choice for a planted aquarium??

(Sorry, I posed similar elsewhere..but thought I may get more advice in this section)

Thanks in advance

I guess this depends on if you're intending to gro plants? If yes then is sounds ok, but some lpants (glosso for one) doesnt do very well in sand due to it compacting and prventing proper root growth.

Why not use 3mm gravel over the top of the florite or is the sand for effect?

You will probably find the sand will work its way to the bottom and the latrite to the top, so i think your on a bit of a loser there.

Like Themuleous said it depends on what you want to do in the end, you can use root tabs instead of a specialized planting substrate, but you will have to replace them every 2.3 months, in a fully planted tank this can be expansive and costly long term.

Caribsea eco compleate, Seachem Onyx Sand, are sand like and a nicer substrate IMO and will be just the ticket for all the plants you plant to grow.

I've had sand but am thinking of switching to gravel.

But as for the sand going to the bottom and laterite to the top - you would expect this, but it doesnt actually happen - or at least it hasn't happened in my 2 tanks. A few bits of laterite makes it way to the top - especially if you have fish that like to dig - but a rake every now and then can sort this out.

Most reactions

Back