Substrate Help

shrimply

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well, I posted quite a few questions a while back and had really hoped to get into a planted tank and even spent £200 on my first project.

bdf04e5a.jpg

I decided to go for it due to the fact it was a really nice tank, came with ample external filtration and the large hood space to fit lighting in.

However I have had it nearly a year now and just haven't had the heart to get rid of the cichlids which came with it. Also a lack of money has meant that I was in danger of skimping on the set-up at the beginning which of course is never a good start.

So I have decided to have a go with my 30 gallon as a test run, so to speak and this is not going to be an expensive set-up meaning DIY CO2 and energy saving bulbs as lighting.

I figure I might as well see whether I am suited to the planted aquarium before I take the plunge and since I am only 16 making a decision to spent the money on a high tech set-up is not one I can take lightly.

Anyway at the minute in the tank we have one light tube which has been fitted since I got the tank 4 years ago :rolleyes: and an undergravel filter. I have been using DIY CO2 for a while and have had great success with my Java fern which seems to be continually growing. Apart from that, obviously, very little has flourished. I have just ordered a new external filter for the tank and am ripping out the old filter plate in a couple of weeks. I have decided this is an ideal time to change the substrate and am looking for good suggestions. The tank is 3ft by 1ft and I would prefer to spend no more than about £20 but if necessary this figure can increase. I love the "soily" look but finding anything anywhere near my budget is a challenge. So opinions please on what I should use and how good it will be. PLease feel free to tell me what I want to spend is ridiculous, I am well aware it is far from ideal and the reality check might do me good. :blush:

You're in the right shape of mind.
I am only 16 making a decision to spent the money on a high tech set-up is not one I can take lightly.
Indeed i know what you mean. "shall i, shan't I", im in the same boat.

Right, so I was thinking Tropica Plant Substrate - 5L and then a layer of normal gravel/sand over the top. A good grain size is 3mm. Tropica Plant Substrate - 5L is £22.99 if i remember correctly.

:fun:

Right, so I was thinking Tropica Plant Substrate - 5L and then a layer of normal gravel/sand over the top. A good grain size is 3mm. Tropica Plant Substrate - 5L is £22.99 if i remember correctly.

:fun:

I've just gone with this combination in my pfk nano tank. It seems good stuff. Have a look at this link, you'll need the 5l bag as RadaR mentions above. Get the gravel from a garden centre or somewhere like that as it will be loads cheaper than from your lfs, but make sure it's aquarium safe. Some gravels say this on the bag now.

Tropica

A good place to get the substrate is: www.aquaessentials.co.uk. I got that and a load of plants and they were top quality.

Thanks people, i will look in to that.

Are there any other options?

IMHO, Even if the substrate is more of a moderate grain size, the UGF isn't really going to work for a planted tank. It would probably work initially, but eventually the plants are going to root extensively, and the roots are going to interfere with the UGF and vice versa, not to mention that the UGF is eseentially going to be trapping nutrients where the plants can't reach them.

You can always try and use it for now until you replace it, but that would require you to uproot plants that are just beginning to root and establish themselves - not good for the plants and not a whole lot of fun for you as it is a mess.

I would go with a HOB filter or canister filter. After your tank has intially cycled, remove any non-mechanical media from the filter (such as bacteria filter wheels, and such) because the biowheels will be stealing valuable nutrients that the plants need. If you plant fairly heavily, the plants, once established, should act as pretty efficient filter on their own.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Sorry If I have not made this clear but the whole reason for replacing the substrate is that I am ripping up the UGF and replacing it with an external. An Eheim Classic External Filter - 2213

Is there anything I can use to achiev a soil look rather than the gravel, its just I fancy a change?

A soil? Hhmm, nothing really springs to mind except proper soil but this is messy and creates clouds in the tank when disturbed.

I hoped there might be some sort of compost type stuff I could get without added ferts and stuff.

I also cosidered trying out this eco peat stuff I use with my snake it is made from cocnut husks and I have had great success growing regular house plants with it.

Anyway I guess I will just have to go with the Tropica Plant Substrate and a fine gravel.

I see you are thinking of using energy saving bulbs. I'm a student too and went with this idea in my 36 galon cube setup with nutrafin CO2 to save money. I went with these bulbs from ebay as they offer a better spectrum of light for plant growth:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-SAD-Daylight-Lamp-...1QQcmdZViewItem

If you do go for these you'll probably have more luck finding BC fittings for the bulb. Just make sure you make everything as waterproof and dry as possible. My hood is well ventilated to prevent condensation build up.

I've had pretty good results with these bulbs together with the nutrafin CO2 system, and they should do you fine for a test run setup.

I'd recommend keeping your CO2 and ferts as constant as possible for optimum growth and algae avoidance. Changing your CO2 mix in the evening so your bubbles are back up to speed in the morning is a good idea.

If you're trying to keep costs down you could pehaps look into pond composts as a substrate, although I have not tried this myself.

Good Luck!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks mate, lighting I had kind of sorted out as I thought I had found the site that was the cheapest around. This one here

Light bulbs

However it works out that unless I want to order 6 or more the ebay seller is slightly cheaper so thanks a lot for that.

I think I am going to fit 3 or 4 30 watt bulbs. I had already decided to go for screw fittings as they are supposed to be better at keeping out the moisture (or so I was told) and since I will be wireing up the bulbs myself getting the fittings isn't a problem at B&Q.

I already have a condensation tray and the lid isn't that enclosed so hopefully all will go ok in that respect.

AS for pond compost is either this Compost 1 or this Compost 2 ok either with or with out the Tropica Plant Substrate.

Thanks again everyone your help is very much appreciated.

I have 4 25W bulbs over my 36US Gallon tank, which works pretty well. I think with the level of lighting you're suggesting you'd need to make sure you keep on top of CO2 and ferts to prevent the algae monster.

I've used edison screw bulbs in my setup to help with the moisture issue. Couldn't find the fittings for them at B&Q, homebase etc, but you can get them from Maplin electronics if you're stuck.

Not sure about those pond composts as I haven't used them before. Let me know how you get on :-D

I was thinging about using more lighting as the tank is pretty (deep over 18") and am hoping I might eventually be able to grow a carpet.

Can anyone else help with the compost question and also is it neccasary to sue gravel on top as I would rather not.

Most reactions

Back