Sturgeon

Thanks, I try to pick the posts i reply to carefully. I've been here over a year and a half and still only have 200 posts.

Sturgeon are also very sensetive to the water quality. though some people i know will try to argue that. If the water becomes even remotely stagnant they will pass quite easilly.

Sturgeon are also scavenger meat eaters. They have been known to kill salmon and shad by blsting them with their bodies to stun them, then eat them but it has only been documented a few times with no physical evidence such as pictures. But, being scavenger meat eaters they tend to eat things that mess up your water quite easilly thus adding even more difficulty to keeping them healthy especially in a small tank environment.

Sturgeon are also delicate to handle out of water. Sturgeon do not posess a skeletal structure so their own weight out of water can and will kill them very quickly. It is best not to remove a sturgeon form the water if at all possible.

I suppose thats enough new information for now. I hope nobody ever tries to keep one of these most magnificent fish in a tank. I fish for them yes... i also practice catch and release. i don't remove them from the water and I use barbless hooks. I also participate in several programs designed to improve sturgeon populations including tagging and tracking of mature fish in the Snake River region. We also hold several annual events to raise money for sturgeon research including a Derby. All sturgeon in idaho are protected and must be released without harm.

BTW on a side note... The sturgeon in the pictures avout. the tope two are Beluga and the bottom looks like a White. the bottom fish is 11' long roughly. so you can imagine 13'3" and the worlds largest at 27".

at work we feed the young sturgeon that come in not only on the normal pellets but froozen fish and prawns aswell, a large sturgeon will actively hunt down a small fish aswell which i have seen happen(didn't come to any harm though!)

i'm very fond of sturgeon i think there great, although oddly i like thw albino one the most and plan to have 1 once my large pond is built.

Unless your tank has a footprint of atleast 6' by 18' I dont thing a surgeon is a good choice, a 1000 at the very least, but on the plus side sturgeon and koi look great together.

Rivermud76 is spot on about sturgeons, but there are a couple of comments I'd add.

Not all sturgeons need fully marine conditions. Those species migrating between inlands seas like the Caspian and Azov are swimming between fresh and effectively brackish water. All the fish in the genus Scaphirhynchus are strictly freshwater, for example. I've only seen these offered for sale a few times though (at least one US species, the pallid sturgeon, is endangered). It seems to be the sterlet that is by far the most commonly traded. Sterlets reach less than 100 cm in length in captivity, so though big, they are certainly manageable. In the UK they are quite widely sold as pond fish, which strikes me as being rather pointless given they are basically grey and stay at the bottom where they are effectively invisible!

Secondly, you may be offered a weird hybrid sturgeon called the "bester". It's a cross between the beluga and the sterlet, and for whatever reason grows quickly and tolerates warmer water than most other sturgeons. That's why it was created, as a species for aquaculture. It's more than likely some of these are offered to aquarists as well. So, as Rivermud76 pointed out, there may be a very real risk of hybrids occuring in Europe and the US should aquarists dump unwanted sturgeons into local rivers and lakes.

Cheers,

Neale

Paul_MTS said:
at work we feed the young sturgeon that come in not only on the normal pellets but froozen fish and prawns aswell, a large sturgeon will actively hunt down a small fish aswell which i have seen happen(didn't come to any harm though!)

i'm very fond of sturgeon i think there great, although oddly i like thw albino one the most and plan to have 1 once my large pond is built.
[snapback]851083[/snapback]​

wait....you sell these things?
Does anyone ever buy them, and if so, do you make sure what tank they have?

DD

You need at least a 1000 gallon pond.

Sturgeon are pretty slow feeders, so you need to feed them sinking pellets that won't be stolen by other fish.

I suggest you have a look at either fishnetwork.co.uk or sturgeon-web.co.uk for guides and info.

I actually a uh...echem...white sturgeon in my uh...10 gallon :blink:

Rivermud76 said:
Thanks, I try to pick the posts i reply to carefully. I've been here over a year and a half and still only have 200 posts.
[snapback]851017[/snapback]​

I have much respect for that; I could never show that much self control.
(Sorry for being off topic but I have no self control and I needed to say that)

Jephex said:
I actually a uh...echem...white sturgeon in my uh...10 gallon :blink:
[snapback]851855[/snapback]​

I'm hoping you are mistaken. Also, as white sturgeon have massive spines on them at that size they would be extremely difficult to house in a tank like that. they also grow fairly rapidly after birth. I am going to guess you have something else and it was just once referred to as a white sturgeon.

Thanks Wolf for the kind words again.

Also, just to address this issue with PONDS. Sturgeon IMHO should not be kept in ponds. Period. They are a massive fish. They actively forage for food over vast distances and are truly very active in the wild. Sturgeon we have tagged have been known to travel 10 or more miles each day through feeding grounds. they also like to use very deep and high pressure holes to rest. To think that a sturgeon could be healthy and happy in a pond is ridiculous in my opinion. I'm thinking 20000 gallons would be closer to more appropriate for even the smallest sturgeon to help mimmick it's natural environment. Otherwise it's gonna be one unhappy fish.

The thought of a majestic fish like a Sturgeon being kept in the confines or a tank or backyard pond just grates me the wrong way. Hopefully with this post however I can educate a few people about sturgeon and why they should never be kept in a pond ot tank. They certainly are not a fish for beginners and in my opinion would not be much fun to watch in a pond as they cannot act anywhere near naturally.

Added later...

glad to see the White Sturgeon thing was a joke. lol.. you never know these days trust me.

Dwarf_Dude said:
wait....you sell these things?
Does anyone ever buy them, and if so, do you make sure what tank they have?

DD
[snapback]851512[/snapback]​

They are a very popular POND fish for people with large koi PONDS. None of the species should even be considered to be kept in a tank.

I was making a joke man, of course I dont have a sturgeon in my ten gallon :D

Jephex said:
I was making a joke man, of course I dont have a sturgeon in my ten gallon :D
[snapback]851921[/snapback]​

oh i thought you were serious ;)...the lfs said a marlin would work out just fine in my 10g

Most reactions

Back