Stupid Newbie Questions

katykaye

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
OK I have really enjoyed coming on this forum and have learned loads, as well as having some good advice.

However, even though some of the things make perfect grammatical sense to a normal, intelligent lady such as myself :D in terms of my knowledge of fishkeeping you are all talking gobbledegook :unsure:

I have a filter in my tank - when you talk about media, is it the filter you are discussing? how do I know if the media is good? and if it is what I think it is, then what happens when I have to change or clean it?

When you say about substrates - I am assuming you mean gravel and whatever is underneath it? I dont have anything under my gravel - should I have?

The shop sold me tropical fish flakes to feed my fish - but I see peas, lettuce and bloodworms (yuk) being discussed? Should my fish have a more varied diet? or will they be fine on fishflakes? If I have to feed them peas or lettuce how often should I be doing that? And I have a very serious phobia about worms so if I have to give them bloodworms I might just be sick :( - do they need them?

Sorry for all the questions - I keep reading the forums and nodding like I know what you are talking about, but the truth is that I don't LOL

any help would be gratefully recieved (especially by my poor, hard done too fish)

The media is the stuff in the filter, so sponges etc, it only needs to be lightly washed in old tank water to shift the muck off. Gravel is fine for the substrate there are special soils to grow plants but gravel is fine for fish.
Some fish that need more veg in their diet may require greens. You dont need to feed bloodworm flakes are fine for fish, you could vary the diet with some other frozen or live foods if you want to.

The media is the spongy. fluffy stuff in the filter, a small square or rectangle cartridge, or noodle & rock looking stuff, depending on the filter. Rinsing in tank or other dechlorinated water is fine to clean, you will not be rinsing off your nitrifying bacteria that keep your tank cycled.

When you need to replace it, you either replace 1/2 at a time, or in the case of cartridges, withhold feeding for 24 hours before changing, float the old cartridge in the tank for a week to let the nitrifying bacteria transfer to the new cartridge, and feed lightly for that week. Less food means less waste produced, giving your nitrifying bacteria a chance to play catch up.

Substrate is whatever is on the tank bottom, sand, gravel, rocks, marbles, whatever. You need nothing under it in your case.

There are a variety of flake food available besides the plain staple flake usually sold at your lfs. If you look online you will find all sorts of earthworm, spirulina, egg, color flake, it's an almost endless assortment.

Bloodworms are actually red mosquito larvae, and only vaguely resemble worms. They are a heavy, high protein food, feeding too much can cause problems. There is also frozen brine shrimp, which look nothing like worms, and are probably better for your fish unless you are conditioning breeders.

It is a steep learning curve at first, but nothing at all impossible. Keep asking questions, plenty of folks here have answers.

Liam and Tolak beat me too it.. some one is always posting as i'm typing ????
heres my 2cents anyway.

I have a filter in my tank - when you talk about media, is it the filter you are discussing? how do I know if the media is good? and if it is what I think it is, then what happens when I have to change or clean it?
The media is in the filter, usually a pad or sponge of some sort. you should only have to clean it when water flow reduces. then only swooshing in a bucket of tank water when you do a water change.
you see replacement media at the fish stores this is so the company's who make the filters can make money. i haven't bought filter media in a long time.

Other media is chemical like carbon pellets. Most people don't use carbon, its not needed unless your removing odor or medications. if so it should only be used of a week or so then removed and tossed.

There is biological media as well like plastic balls ceramic rings etc. which gives the beneficial bacteria which remove ammonia a place to live and breed.

When you say about substrates - I am assuming you mean gravel and whatever is underneath it? I don't have anything under my gravel - should I have?

Substrate is what you have in the bottom of your tank like sand or gravel. this is all you should have.

The shop sold me tropical fish flakes to feed my fish - but I see peas, lettuce and bloodworm's (yuk) being discussed? Should my fish have a more varied diet? or will they be fine on fish flakes? I have a very serious phobia about worms so if I have to give them bloodworm's I might just be sick :( - do they need them?

Flakes are fine but some fish need a varied diet. would you like to eat the same thing everyday? thats just a way to look at it. Some fish like veggies so veggie flakes are good. I buy a can of regular flake and a can of veggie flake and mix them in a container. This is generally all i feed and my fish are fine. Once in a while i feed bloodworm's for a treat.

Some fish like more meat so bloodworm's etc. work well.
just try to feed a varied diet as best you can. Bloodworm's come freeze dried and they are not as gross as you think.

Sorry for all the questions - I keep reading the forums and nodding like I know what you are talking about, but the truth is that I don't LOL

any help would be gratefully received (especially by my poor, hard done too fish)

Glad i could help.. we are all here to learn.

Sorry Cris, I saw CheesyFeet answreing this one, so I went looking at other stuff. No post so I thought I'd toss in an answer.

You did cover a couple things I missed, carbon, which I never run, and the scam of constant media replacement, I have home made sponge & box filters & buy large bags of media in the fabric department of Walmart. T.Y. for catching the things I flew right past!

My post will probably confuse you, its my ramblings :crazy: , probably many mistakes...O well, enjoy figuring it out.I have underlined what I have said...Sorry for taking so long, partly because I was watching Mock the weak and partly because its quite a long post :blink:
OK I have really enjoyed coming on this forum and have learned loads, as well as having some good advice.

However, even though some of the things make perfect grammatical sense to a normal, intelligent lady such as myself :D in terms of my knowledge of fishkeeping you are all talking gobbledegook :unsure:

Media is the foam pads and other things such as bioballs, carbon, zeolite etc (located in main part of the filter, which I I have heard to be called the media/filter basket or the canister), in which the water is pumped through the water to clean it, in the biological media it (it being the nitrifying bacteria, which is good, and makes its home in the biological part of the filter media) converts ammonia (toxic to fish, produced by fishes waste and dead plant matter) to nitrite to nitrate completing the nitrogen cycle so that ammonia is broken down into a less harmful substance-Nitrate, which is the end product of the nitrogen cycle, which in larger qauntities is thought to stunt (slow down growth and maybe even deform the fish) and harm fish.Regular water changes remove the nitrate.Keeping the fish healthy.

If you don't understand what I am saying...Which I understand is definetely confusing at first, don't be afraid to ask...Sorry that I got sidetracked.Thought I might as well explain what a filter actually does, incase you didn't know.

I keep media until I see it deteriating.If I notice sponge media becomnig clogged up and I've had it for over a year, I know its best to replace.On all filters you buy they will tell you to replace it every couple of months, but I've never noticed a difference in keeping it (in my case just general sponges) longer, much longer than suggested.Other media then sponges.e.g bio balls.Last for agesss

Most fishkeepers suggest to wash the media of filters in the tanks water, during a water change, this is so that the nitryfying bacteria does not get killed by the chlorine/chloramine (added by water companies to make water fit for drinking) in the tapwater, although there is debate in whether you have to do this, most, almost all say you should, although only a year or two ago I used to wash all my media in tapwater.I never had any ill effects from this, maybe because I have a low level or chlorine/chloramine in my water...Who knows.

When you say about substrates - I am assuming you mean gravel and whatever is underneath it? I dont have anything under my gravel - should I have?

Substrate is anything ranging from sand to pebbles and it holds some nitrifying bacteria, no where as much as the media in the filter does though.Generally aquatic plant enthusiasts refer to what is known by most as gravel, as substrate.There are many types of substrates specially created to benifit plants, or even fish, they may contain nutrients and other such things to lower pH (The Aqua design Amano range 'soil' substrates do this), or crushed coral to raise the pH (which is desired by marine livestock and malawi cichlids).

There are substrates which are more like a soil, or sand (an example is ADA power sand) which go under normal gravel.The idea is when you plant the tank the plants roots will feed and root into the special substrate, making them grow faster and look healthier.

The shop sold me tropical fish flakes to feed my fish - but I see peas, lettuce and bloodworms (yuk) being discussed? Should my fish have a more varied diet? or will they be fine on fishflakes? If I have to feed them peas or lettuce how often should I be doing that? And I have a very serious phobia about worms so if I have to give them bloodworms I might just be sick :( - do they need them?
Bloodworms come frozen (well you should purchase them frozen as live caught ones tend to carry diseases harmful to fish) and you ahve to look very carefully to see that they are worms, they jsut look like a reddish blob from a foot or two away, as do another type of frozen fish food called 'glass worms'.
You should vary a fishes diet.Flake/granules as a staple, then pellets as occasional and frozen foods such as bloodworm, beefheart, and glassworm...Or even prawns to be offered as a treat, this however is just a general diet which.And will vary from person to person which most (maybe not most people, but most people on this forum and me ) people tend to feed there 'community' kind of fish, the pellets being for bottom dwelling fish, which most aquariums will have, the staples to provide good health, and the treats to keep them happy and give them nd extra boost.Thats how I see it anyway lol.
Other fish require a more specific diet.For example

If you have plecs, they should have bogwood (which they slowly eat, this is said to help there digestive systems function normally) courgette, cucumber, algae wafers, maybe even pellets if they eat them, all included in their diet.And they like the occassional prawn I have found out :rolleyes: .Other herbivorous fish, such as the giant gourami eat lettuce, peas etc, peas especially are suppose to be good for most fish, supposidly clearing the digestive system.

If you have discus cichlids they need a more protein rich diet compared to most fish, having granules such as tetra prima as a staple or a high qaulity flake.Beefheart, bloodworm, glass worm, tubifex worms etc are also fed regulary.
And for fish more predatory, such as birchirs, require a more protein rich diet, being fed frozen foods (as seen above and the general pellets) but also plenty of foods such as mussles and prawns.

WOW

Thank you all :)

So much clearer now :good:

I think my little tank is doing just fine :) but it really helps to know what I should be doing (my lfs told me to change the filter sponge every month :(

Just one more question - I feed my Molly fry (they are a week old and soooo cute) with fish baby food - when do they need more?

Do you mean when to feed other foods?

I usto grind up flake food for my mollies about 10 days after they were born and ween them onto other foods from there.

Depends on what product you are feeding for fish baby food. Long ago when I was breeding platys I would just fine grind regular flake. If you have a coffee grinder you can atomize flake food, but feed sparingly, as it reduces it to about 20% of its original volume. I start angels on this flake at about 2 weeks old, it's a combination of about 5 diferent flakes, veggie pellets, you name it.

Most reactions

Back