Stumped as to problem (resolved)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They've been more and more normal since I've removed the lucky bamboo. I'm really hoping this was the problem and that its done with it now.

Not mcuh of a lucky bamboo then was it :lol:

But am real glad things are now looking much brighter, we all sort of knew it was a contamination of some sort but did not know where it was coming from, so that bamboo is highly likely to be the source.

Not mcuh of a lucky bamboo then was it :lol:

But am real glad things are now looking much brighter, we all sort of knew it was a contamination of some sort but did not know where it was coming from, so that bamboo is highly likely to be the source.
I just can't find any info on lucky bamboo doing this with fish.

I just can't find any info on lucky bamboo doing this with fish.

Yeah, nor me but think its mostly due to the rotting part of the plant and possibly not having much substrate in that tote at the time as to completely cover and stop the rotting chemicals leaching into the water column perhaps.

These are just guesses at this point but seems a fairly valid hypothesis to me anyway.

Glad things are looking up. Hopefully the bamboo was the root cause and with it removed the fish continue to improve.

Never had problems with petsmart plants.

s c h m e g m e l a ?

just me? ok.
Yeah if its a joke it went over my head, im sorry lol

Glad things are looking up. Hopefully the bamboo was the root cause and with it removed the fish continue to improve.
I'm hoping so too

The cornstalk plant, corn plant, ribbon plant, dragon tree, money tree, or lucky bamboo are a few of the common names used for plants of the genus Dracaena. There are varying species that contain unknown steroidal saponins which may cause drooling, vomiting, weakness, incoordination and dilated pupils (cats) when ingested.

I was reading this and I was thinking that if it's a poison to cat, it will also be a poison to fish or any animals.

Some saponins are toxic to cold-blooded organisms and insects at particular concentrations.[4]

Oral toxicity of saponins in warm-blooded animals is relatively low due to its low absorption from the intestinal tract (opposite to high toxicity for most cold-blooded animals, e.g., fish).

Last edited:

The cornstalk plant, corn plant, ribbon plant, dragon tree, money tree, or lucky bamboo are a few of the common names used for plants of the genus Dracaena. There are varying species that contain unknown steroidal saponins which may cause drooling, vomiting, weakness, incoordination and dilated pupils (cats) when ingested.

I was reading this and I was thinking that if it's a poison to cat, it will also be a poison to fish or any animals.

Some saponins are toxic to cold-blooded organisms and insects at particular concentrations.[4]

Oral toxicity of saponins in warm-blooded animals is relatively low due to its low absorption from the intestinal tract (opposite to high toxicity for most cold-blooded animals, e.g., fish).
Who knew. I knew it was toxic to dogs and cats BUT EVERYONE USES IT FOR FISH TANKS lol

But I do think this was indeed my problem.

Happy to report everyone has been perky all day, no laying down, sores are all gone, pop eye in the one guppy is improving
20201001_230337.jpg

Who knew. I knew it was toxic to dogs and cats BUT EVERYONE USES IT FOR FISH TANKS lol

Happy to report everyone has been perky all day, no laying down, sores are all gone, pop eye in the one guppy is improving
View attachment 118442
So happy to know all is good! Every step we take is full of risks, and yet, when we get to enjoy these little beings, we are better for it. Got to love the little things in life!!!

View attachment 118442
Do you've an underwater camera? :wub: :snap:

Can I ask why you have goldfish in with tropical fish? Their needs are so different. Idk if that has anything to do with but the variety of things in this tank has a variety of needs. Goldfish tolerate cooler water easily but not tropical fish.
sounds like something big is going on here. When my fish are less active it’s because the water is too cold. Staying close to the bottom is a clue but I’m not experienced enough to diagnose it.
NC already answered this on page four, please read the whole thread at least before criticising an experienced fish keeper who knows what she's doing.

Most reactions

Back