Stubborn Ich - Second Treatment Failed!

gufyduck

Reaction score
Double posting this since it doesn't seem to be getting much action in the emergency section

I have ich in my tank and I can't seem to get rid of it.  I've been dealing with it for about 1.5 weeks and it is still hanging around.  

The tank is at 86 F and 20 gallons.  Ammonia and nitrite are both zero.  

I first treated with Super Ich Cure (active ingredient Malachite Green and Nitrofurazone).  I used a half dose as the package recommended because I have a catfish and two small clown loaches (the third one did not make it).  The box said add one dose on day one, a second dose on day three then water change on day 5 water change and carbon.

Day 5 -  I still had ich, so did a water change then added another dose.  

Day 7 - More ich spots appearing, switched to Coppersafe (active ingredient - chelated copper sulfate). The box said no need to raise the temp, so I started turning it back to normal, decreased to 84.

Day 8-10 Out of town.  Temp stayed at 84 since I was out of town.

Day 11 - Came home, and the clown loaches look horrible!  Much worse than when I left and even more than before.  The temp is back to 86.

I know I can't do salt. Anyone know anything else I can try?  I'm getting desperate!

is it a planted tank?

something that has worked great for me with ich is me raising the temp to about 83 or 85 degrees and dosing with lifeguard and kordons ich attack. I only treat in my quarantine though that has no plants it was safe with the scaless guys like the loaches the ich cured in about a week ..there was a time that i tried coppersafe and it didnt work at all so they got worse and i went back to the lieguard and ich attack together and the ich cleared wthin 4 days. They are safe to use together havent tried it with invertebrates though. just make sure you do constant water changes at least once a week. I guarantee you it will work. It worked for me at least.

As for my main tank the 55 gallon I also treated it for about a week with the ich attack to make sure that any little ich that might be in there can be killed but none of my other fish got it :)

I've not treated ich with these types of fish... but I recently had a really bad case of ich as well and I found the temperature made the biggest difference in the end. I had to raise mine to nearly 90 for a week while treating and being sure to have airstones running.

Most reactions

Back