Striped Ralphael

Araxen

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just picked one up over the weekend and was wondering if they'll do ok with Cory Catfish?
I have 5 peppered cory's and 1 unidentified Cory and I'm just wondering if they'll be ok. The Raphael is maybe an inch in size right now.

I have 6 neons but they'll be lunch for him someday when he gets bigger and I'm fine with that, but they cory's I'm worried about.

Corys are fine :good: and as you know - neons are not.

No, the neons won't be lunch. They'll be a midnight snack. These are very nocturnal catfish.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the catfish being at risk from neon tetra disease, which is incurable and seems to be caught when dead or infected neons are eaten. Given the range of species known to catch NTD, from angelfish to goldfish, I wouldn't deliberately risk any fish of mine with neons as "feeders". It's just a stupid risk that's so easy to avoid.

Raphaels are doradid catfish, which means their preferred diet is invertebrates, things like small worms, insect larvae, and snails. While they have been known to eat small fish, this is out of hunger more than some predatory instinct. Frozen bloodworms and tubifex will be enjoyed, as will small catfish pellets. There are giant species of dorad 2 metres is length that feed on not much else besides snails.

Cheers,

Neale

I have 6 neons but they'll be lunch for him someday when he gets bigger and I'm fine with that, but they cory's I'm worried about.

Most reactions

Back