Stressed Platty?

Yes she could of been there a while.
If you think she suffering i would end her life, she looks bright enough in the eyes but i can't see her.

That's why I get hoping she'l get better. She doesn't look bad enough to call it a day with her.

As I have approx. 40 fry aged 5 weeks ( 8 ) , 3 weeks (18) & 2 days (15) (all in floating breeder) plus a few older one in the main tank I need to locate a small tank for them & could use it first to give her some meds.

Thanks for all your help Wilder. Off to bed now as it's 01:49hrs and I need my beauty sleep (the wife says I REALLY DO NEED it :( )

Thanks again. will try to let you know what happens.

i belive that is a female unless her fins are that tightly clamped, its a beutiful fish none the less, its a shame that it probably wont be making it

There's hope for her yet. I have isolated her in a small floating tank (bigger than a fry hatchery) until I get my hospital tank today so that I can ensure that she gets all she wants to eat. I have been feeding the fish with daphnia, brine shrimp & bloodworm (all frozen, and it's 'no holds barred' when the bloodworm goes in hence the seperation) plus algae tablets. She is now swiming with dorsal raised & tail fanned a lot of the time and she too loves the bloodworm. Before seperating her she was only getting 1 or 2 bloodworm, now it's 5 or 6 and she seems to be putting on a little bit bulk at long last (it's only been a couple of days be the difference is noticable). She was a loverly fish before all this started & even though she's not well I don't want to lose her. Now if she was really bad I would consider ending her misery but she has never been that bad.
I've been on holiday the last couple of week so have been on the net for hours looking for info on a possible cause but have come up with nothing that matches her symtoms other than stress (she was bullied but that stopped when I gave the swordtail to the lfs).
Well it's time to give her more bloodworm, 1 at a time until she stops eating them straight away then 1 more which she usually eats 5-10 mins later, then what's left gets 'thrown to the wolves'.

I have found platies to be quite emotionally fragile at times, and needing quite a bit of time to get over a trauma- if they don't succumb to it. Having said that, I would be inclined to do as Wilder says and treat for bacterial infection- some of these infections can be quite long and lingering.

I have found platies to be quite emotionally fragile at times, and needing quite a bit of time to get over a trauma- if they don't succumb to it. Having said that, I would be inclined to do as Wilder says and treat for bacterial infection- some of these infections can be quite long and lingering.

Sorry, should mave said in the last post I am treating her with meds. as well but did start the bloodworm before the meds. & saw an improvement within hours. It would seem that stress is the main prob. & like you say she's taken a long time to recover. She did get affected when the swordtail got whitespot so that wouldn't have helped. Hopefully the meds. & improved diet will work.

I though fishkeeping would be a learning curve, it's more like a verticle climb up (with the odd 1 or 2 overhangs), can't see the top yet, will I ever?

Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed for her bless her.

'What a difference a day makes' (well a few day & plenty of bloodworms but didn't know a song with those words in it.

Meds aslo seem to be helping but the improvement with just the bloodworm occured in just a few hours.

I gobsmacked to say the least.

What do you think?

02___Sick_Platty__getting_better_low_res_.jpg

Thanks all for the help.

She looks beautiful, never seen a fish go from what she was like to this now, well done, glad she made it as she looked awful, fish can surprise you at times.
Bless her.

Most reactions

Back