Stressed Fish

MeganA

Reaction score
Just a quick question I think my fish are stressed I upgraded to a 30 gallon from a 10 gallon. I moved my 2 Red Wag platys over to my new 30 from the 10 and they seem very stressed they don't act the same they as they did when they were in the other tank. They hide all time I hardly ever see them and they don't come out to eat even (well rarely). I added some other new fish to the tank as well and all the others seem to be doing just fine with the exception of the 3rd platy I got. The new platy hides alone and the older 2 platys hide in a different area and always stay together. Is this typical behavior for platys? My 10 gallon was overstocked so maybe that why I saw them more? They are very skiddish if I come near the tank. In the old tank they would be the first at the top and ready to eat...My older female Platy did give birth yesterday so I thought that was why she was hiding and the male was just hanging with her for some lunch but she had the babies yesterday and all was well and as soon as I released her from the breeder box she went right back to hiding again. I also noticed earlier when I was able to get a glance at the male that he may have lost a couple scales and his top fin looks like it may have been nibbled on a bit but other than that they both look healthy other than the behavior change. My question is does anyone think this may just be stressed fish? If so how can I calm them?

It may be that they're just a little stressed from the move and are still getting used to their new home.

It's usually a good idea to leave the tank lights off for several hours after introducing fish to a tank to let them get settled in. I think you just need to leave them be for the time being and hopefully they'll be back to normal soon enough.

I'm assuming the new tank was cycled one way or another?

I added some of the cycled filter media from the old tank to the new tank to cycle it faster. I actually think I just found the culprit, I just notice that my Albino long finned bristlenose looks like it may have ich. I am very disappointed in myself I made mistake and I should not have added him in yet. So now looks like I will be treating for ich. I don't see any white spots in my platys but maybe they just have not appeared yet.

I had an outbreak of ich once that only seemed to affect my cardinals. I have no idea why. Nonetheless, it's best to treat the whole tank.

Yea everything in me this last weekend told me NOT to get the bristlenose yet that I just didnt think my tank was mature enough yet. I also know that they can be quite delicate but I was persuaded by how pretty he was and by my 8 year old son who was determined to talk me into it. And here we are...I have a question though since you have treated ich before do you think all the fish in my tank can with stand a temp increase and adding salt? Also do you add salt with each water change or do you just add it one time and then do water changes and don't add anymore after that?

I currently have in that 30 gallon:

2 albino corys
2 peppered corys
3 mollies
3 platys
and the bristlenose

I wouldn't add salt if you have cories as they can be quite sensitive.

The ich treatment I used (King British WS3) recommended a half dose if there were sensitive fish in the tank (I have cories too). It took my ich about two weeks to clear up and it felt like forever but it did. I turned the heat up a little but didn't add salt.

My LFS advised me that ich treatment is powerful stuff and to only add what the instructions say, and by no means add any extra for good luck. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

In the US the same product is sold as Nox-ich. Your LFS will have it.
As far as keeping the fish out in the open, give them lots of good plant cover and you will see them more often. They feel safer when they have a nearby place to hide so they venture out more often.

Most reactions

Back