stressed and pregnant platy

milba

Reaction score
ok i got a sunset platy and she is pregnant and just about to have fry, i have isolated her by getting a breeder box, (taking her out every 12 hours for 2 hours) and ive had her in there for the last day and ive noticed that she seems to be extremely stressed and banging on the side of the wall with her upper fin (the one on the back) completely up. what can i do to help her stress less? should i let her out for longer periods of time? im just afraid she will have the babies during these breaks and my other fish will chow down before i notice. thanks

Yeah...she is going to get very very stressed with all tha moving, and being in the Breeder Box. The best thing to do is leave her in the tank, and let her have her babies there. Though you mentioned your other fish...so if you really want to save your fry, I'd suggest you get a small breeding tank, maybe a 5 gallon or so and set that up for her. :)

If you keep moving her, and sticking her in there, she's going to get even more stressed and probably abort her babies or having birthing complications, or even die. A small tank is the best bet. :thumbs:

if you have enough plants, rocks, and hiding spots your fish should be able to birth her fry safely and the fry could survive um chould you post what other types of fish you have in you tank and what size your tank is. mine just recently have baby sunset or micky mouse platties not excatly which 1 lol i bought the fish pregnant.

Most reactions

Back